Feature Request: Nameable lanes

Just installed Cubase 6 - seems to be doing alright. As a result of adjusting to the new visual look and features, i’d like to propose the following additions:

• Nameable Lanes - being able to name a take / lane would be appreciated; if you have multiple takes or roles on a track, it would be a lot more descriptive with a name than ‘Lane 3’ …

• Collapse lanes (or ‘lanes on/off’). The button that toggles lanes on / off in the side-panel: i want it on the track! - possibly integrated into the automation stack, or working like a folder track …

• Project event gradient on/off. The gradient background on all project events. Can we make this optional or better yet customizable?

… pretty please?

Best,
Rune / FishCorp, Copenhagen

• Nameable Lanes - being able to name a take / lane would be appreciated; if you have multiple takes or roles on a track, it would be a lot more descriptive with a name than ‘Lane 3’ …

That was the first thing I thought when I saw the new lanes. Well, that’s not technically true now that I think about it, it was the second.

The first was … “Comping looks much better.”
The second was …“I wonder if you can rename the “Lane X” field to something else?”

I always used tracks as lanes and groups as a track. The lanes are polyphonic that way :slight_smile:

Lanes are not really “tracks” even if they appear this way, they are rather another view of events stacked on top of each other (this is what you see on the “main” track), but “unfurled” to Lanes to reveal everything from top to bottom of the stack. Therefore Lanes just “exist” as long as they are displayed and the amount of Lanes is directly tied to way of how the events are stacked up with each other. Naming them does not work, there is nothing to save actually.

Indeed. That’s why I use Tracks as lanes. That way you can name them, pan them play them polyphonically and so on and so on.

So how do you loop record across 8 tracks and have the recording track switch on every loop? How do you use the comping features on those tracks? I mean, a composite edit isn’t supposed to be poly / multi, which is kind of the point I guess.

I don’t loop record. It’s no bother to hit stop and then hit the record button again. :slight_smile:

How do you use the comping features on those tracks? > I mean, a composite edit isn’t supposed to be poly / multi, which is kind of the point I guess.

Simple … open them up in the audio editor select across tracks and snip away and mute unmute.

Seems to me that lanes on a single track would only be relevent to loop recording. Otherwise one would do as Paul is saying and just do seperate tracks. With loop recording ,for me, the whole purpose would be to have CB running in loop on a bar for example so that I can get a guitar part correct. I can’t imagine why I would want to stop and name a lane in this case. For me ,if you start getting attached to lanes (diff takes)like you’d want to save them then you lose expediency of either selecting a final take or comping a final take. This translates to songs not getting done. In cases where I think something is interesting ,I just make it green.

Anyway this is just me.

Well, we disagree there. It’s ok to disagree, we all have preferences and methods.

Agreed