Feature Request: Notes in Audio Editor

I don’t think we have it now, as the shortcut is greyed out but it would be nice to have the Notes in Audio Editor as well, instead of only in Montage.

1 Like

Since the text can’t be embedded inside an audio file, it would then need to be stored eg. in the project.

Hmmm… You’re right (as usual). I assumed this was simple and you mention something that didn’t occur to me: how would the notes be stored?
I was checking “History” and it’s not stored either (hey! That would be nice too!).

Not as Metadata, of course… i really have no idea.
If something pops-up in my mind, i’ll let you know.
Thanks for prompt reply!

Still investigating on how Notes could be saved in Audio Editor, maybe as appended data to each specific file.
It would be ideal if History could also be recalled for every file.

So, testing in Windows, i see that when opening a WAV file in WL immediately a .gpk file is created. Appears to be an “image” file, no?
Upon closing said file and leaving WL a VS file is created.
If any editing is applied a .$$$ file is created.

Could any of these store the Notes info exclusive to a file? And maybe also the editing History pertaining to that same file.

Sorry if these are ridiculous suggestions but i didn’t program WL so… i don’t know what happens “in there”.

Yes it is.

Yes (it’s optional). But it is meant to contain non-critical data, like zoom and selection settings (user notes are “critical”).

But anyway, yes this could be yet another ancillary file, like “piano.wav.txt” or even better “piano.wav.md” (markdown file)

The .md file doesn’t exist in WL yet, or?..
That would be great if you could get it to work.
What do you think about including the History log? Possible?

It would be awesome to go back to a file and remember all the steps that were done to said file in previous sessions.

Thankyou!

While I can completely understand where you are coming from, why not just have a simple text file and save that as part of your session folder.

At last that would open down the track. With different evolution of WL and OS a co-saved project file might not.

For the same reason there are Notes in Montage.
And also because i use WL in fullscreen and it’s quite boring (to say the least) to move back and forth between WL and some third party program window in the back.
That’s what i’ve been doing until now and it’s a pain. And since i do some heavy usage of the Audio Editor and not so much of Montage (although i use it) i feel it would be a valuable addition, one that is even related to functions already available in WL.
There’s even a Notepad VST. Quite useful but i still feel it would be great to have one proprietary to WL.

The question now is how to implement this on the “other side” of WL: the Editor!

1 Like

Yes, why not. But that’s not a small feature to add.

2 Likes

What about just using the “Comment” section of the ID3 v2 Metadata?

1 Like

This is indeed a good idea for the storage, to embed the comment.
But it can only be used with pure text, not with rich text (bold, italics, bullets, etc.).
However, when I think about it, using markdown, this could be a good compromise if the WaveLab Editor is made markdown compatible.

1 Like

What about iXML for now…

iXML

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> 1.52 1. take one 2. take two 3. take three

regards S-EH

This is somehow the same as for Id3v2 comment.
Yet, this gives me an idea: the full note could be referenced as a variable, which one could then be used in ID3v2 command or XML, or whatever.

2 Likes

It can be used for that but it won’t do for the type of use i require.
Or at least, it would require additional work before rendering the files with Metadata, to remove the comments from each file.

In my case what happens most of the time is that Notes may include all from client instructions for edits, effects, processing and other info essential for the job to be done.
I wouldn’t want those notes to be embedded in the file’s Metadata and visible later, after editing is finished.
Of course i could remove those after the job is done but i guess it would be much simpler for the user (i am assuming not so much for the programmer) to have an additional file be automatically appended to the audio files being edited.
The markdown files @PG1 mentioned or something similar.

Again, i insist, and i absolutely understand it would be no small feat, having the History tab contents appended to the audio files would be awesome as well!

Thankyou all for your interest.

1 Like

So are we talking about this being in the wav file header … meta data?

Hi!
Yes I think so but what about using Markers in the meantime
and save to text, pdf, html or csv e.t.c

regards S-EH

Or just take actual notes like a couple of generations of mastering and mix engineers have done. Personally, I wouldn’t want to be relying on some format in a header or DAW … … and you could be forgiven for being somewhat pessimistic on the realistic prospect of being able to open something up for recall or whatever in only 10 years time. Not to mention that you might have moved to another DAW by then as well.

1 Like

Fortunately I read your comment with a bit of humour. Otherwise it would sound condescending.
But no, it’s humour, right?
After all, you don’t know me or what my experience is in audio/studio related matters.

I’m 63 years old, first professional recording (getting paid for it) was at 18 (1979) and you can bet there was plenty of paper around.
I’ve filled thousands of paper track lists and notes for the hundreds of albums I have engineered, recorded, mixed, mastered or produced.

Thing is I didn’t stop in the past as some younger folks seem to have

As Brian Eno once said: “I’m often accused of being ahead of my time but it’s simply not true. The truth is everyone else is behind.”

Nope … just genuinely offering a different perspective.

Let’s leave it at that and all the best for the feature you are looking for.

Goodness! Really?
In a software forum the best solution you have to genuinely offer is to not use the software and use paper???

I don’t know what else to say and how much i can thank you for your valuable insight and recommendations.
Let’s leave it at that.