Feature request: play cursor stays in middle of the screen, score scrolls

A long shot probably, but would it be feasible to have the playhead (green line) stay in the middle of the screen whilst the score scrolls past (in galley view)?

4 Likes

I’d start to feel nauseous from being dizzy, especially when it’s a fast song :joy:

1 Like

I believe that has been requested, but it is not currently available, nor (if I understand correctly) is it “imminent.”

Surely Daniel you’d have your eyes tightly shut in that situation?

1 Like

Thanks Derrek, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Hello,
This would be a great feature for making score videos!

1 Like

Agree 100% - it would be really useful

I believe that’s how it already works in the Key Editor in Play mode, although this is then showing a piano roll rather than notation.

This seems to depend on the magnification or scaling of the piano roll. In my case the playhead is always starting from the leftmost corner but depending on zoom level it would appear to be stationary when the end of the flow fits into the screen.

It would be nice to see in a future version.

In Write mode, with the Link activated, it would be super for the score to mirror the piano roll.

edit

cross-eyed!

1 Like

Duruflé! Literally the greatest musical moment of my life when I first heard this live…

2 Likes

Yes Dan! I’m attempting to learn the tenor part, so I thought I’d enter the entire score along with the SA&B parts (minus the instrumental bits). I hope our performance will equal the one you first heard…:crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Ahh, this is a hopeful sign, if music software has become convenient enough for choral singers to start recopying music to help with learning it! More like study methods of past centuries. Very effective.

4 Likes

It was also a very special experience for me when I first heard Duruflé’s Requiem Mass performed. I considered myself lucky indeed when I got to sing in another live performance many years later.

2 Likes

That is a really good idea. At the moment it is really annoying when it moves off screen and readjusts. Also it would be good when you pressed rewind if it actually scrolled the screen back with the cursor. At the moment it doesn’t and it is really irritating especially as Cubase can do these things with ease.

1 Like

This type of scrolling score, where the cursor stays in one place, would also be helpful for pieces for live musicians and electronics; instead of a click track, they could have a video of the score on an iPad, and play from it directly.

I just finished a piece for electric viola and soundtrack; I’ve made a video of the score using screen capture to QuickTime, and it fits perfectly on an iPad screen. But the violist basically has to memorize what’s coming after the page turn, since they can’t see it until the green playback line moves to the next page.

If there were a way to have the green line stay in one place, while the score scrolls by, that would make at least a few people’s performances much more manageable.

2 Likes

Agreed Stephen, it would be very useful. I suspect the code re-writing might be pretty significant which is why we’re stuck with the current method. Personally, I think it would be a major boost to the usability of Dorico for live musicians/singers. :crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes