Feature Request: ReWire/MTC

Do you have a link for restream?

It’s part of ReaPlugs, which is linked to at the bottom of the post you replied to.

Thanks!

Rewire has been discontinued by Reason Studios and Steinberg at the end of last year. So it’s unlikely to be implemented in a Steinberg product.

Good to know. However the important part is the software’s ability to lock to and chase time code. The method that Steinberg wants to use to implement this function is their choice, but to have a professional piece of software that is intended to be used for scoring to picture without this is a grave oversight.

This is a pretty standard capability for most DAWs and sequencers. It’s time for notation software to catch up. Include a sync dialogue that allows the setting of MTC or SMPTE settings so that the software can natively lock to MTC and also broadcast it.

1 Like

Certainly we are interested in supporting at least MTC in Dorico in future, though I can’t say when we will implement it.

1 Like

It’s part of a set of plugins. Get them here:
https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

Native MTC support for midi devices (just like most sequencer/daws have) would be a game changer for music notation software. I would absolutely move to Dorico from Sibelius if that happened.

1 Like

I think these are P.C only right? I’m on Mac.

VST2 plugins. If your daw can use that should work on either platform?

I got the trial version of Dorico Pro and was primed to buy it to replace Finale which I have been using since the '90s, but then I realized I can’t figure out how to sync it up with my DAW which is part of my workflow with Finale for synchronizing to picture. Is there a way to synchronize music I am writing using Doric to picture at all? I have been using ReWire and that served my purpose well.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Yes, Dorico allows you to import video directly into your project and score to that. No need for Rewire. How to Score to Video in Dorico | Getting Started with Dorico 2 - YouTube

1 Like

Aha! My bad. Thank you – can’t wait to see how this works!
Edit: Thanks for the link! This is much better than what I was doing before!

Another request here for MTC sync. I’m running Dorico 3.5 trial to potentially move from Finale, which I routinely sync to Logic using MTC across the MacOS built-in inter-app MIDI, which is very easy. This is a must for me and seems to be the only thing stopping me moving to Dorico for all scoring work.

Welcome to the forum, @Smaug. This is definitely something we are planning to add in a future version, though I cannot say for sure at this point when it will be added, as we need to coordinate with our colleagues in Hamburg to work on the implementation on the audio engine side as well as our own team working on the Dorico side.

2 Likes

I found this TXL Timecode plugin and it seems to work in Dorico.

1. Set up a virtual MIDI port.
  2. Load it in Dorico’s Instrument Rack in the play tab and set it to send the time code over your virtual port.
  3. Launch the MTC DAW or other software you want synced with Dorico and have it slave to the MTC coming over your virtual port.
2 Likes

This is mostly brilliant!! Virtual Starbucks all around. Thank you Brian. It so far works quite well between Dorico and Studio One, though there is one not so obvious thing to me that someone else might have an answer for?

It syncs the DAW and Dorico, allows you to playback from any arbitrary point and be in sync. But press the record Button in Dorico doesn’t start recording in the DAW. What you seem to have to do is start Playback in Dorico and then hit record in the DAW to capture something. So you need to give yourself enough time in Dorico to do that. You don’t have to time your button presses exactly or anything (sync is still good,) but just give yourself enough time to get record enabled before you get to the part(s) you want to capture permanently in the DAW.

So I will appreciate a more complete solution from Steinberg when it gets here. But this is still kind of transformative to my workflow.

Correct.

I first arm tracks for recording in Cubase and tap the record button in Cubase (which does nothing but light up and wait for time code to start coming in), then just hit ‘play’ in Dorico.

I use 3 screens, so it’s not a big deal for me. It kinda makes sense to me that whatever I want to record in Cubase…I’d need to arm and set things there precisely as desired first.

Don’t forget that you can also export a master track from Dorico to import into the DAW project as well. While it’s not what you want your DAW using to drive the transport, It may well come in handy to get your DAW’s visual grid and all set up in a way that’s pretty close to what Dorico is playing.

Yeah, on Studio One, hitting the record button starts the Studio One transport, and out of all of the nice options I don’t see a way to tell it just to arm.

Does the S1 transport take off of its own? Seems to me it should just ‘wait’ until some time code is coming in. No TC, the transport should NOT be moving.

For me I first arm the track(s) I want recording, then click record on the main transport bar. Under his own clock, Cubase would normally do a ‘count in’ and then start recording at this point; however, since it’s in ‘slave mode’, it just sits there waiting. I set the playhead in Dorico where I want it to start and tap play. So far at least…Cubase locks up and begins recording at the position that it should.

Rendering Dorico’s output isn’t how I’d normally use the combo really…just testing a bit at this point.

Thankfully Dorico does offer a floating transport bar that can be pulled to a more handy location to get the ball rolling, so doing some analog tracking and keeping it in sync is at least possible now.