Feature request: Separate display options for normal and rhythmic cues

It’s wonderful to finally have working rhythmic cues and it’d be even more wonderful if we, in the future, could have separate display options for them.
The only option now is to either show or not show the cues. Normally I don’t want to show cues in the score, but I definitely want to see the rhythmic cues in the drum set.

This is the default setting!
Layout options are (not surprisingly) layout specific, so if you don’t want cues to show in the full score, un tick the option for the full score layout.

You mean you want to see the drum staff cues in the score, right? Rhythmic cues in the drum set are really the part itself, so the conductor needs to see what the drummer has. I’d like this too. Additionally, I’d like to see a cue percentage setting for rhythmic cues. In most parts, cues should be cue sized (duh), but in a drum part, I usually want them regular sized as again, they are really part of the part itself and not thought of as a cue in the same way as they are in other parts.

2 Likes

@Janus as @FredGUnn points out,

[…] you want to see the drum staff cues in the score, right? Rhythmic cues in the drum set are really the part itself, so the conductor needs to see what the drummer has […]

1 Like

If the conductor (with access to full score) cannot identify the rhythm, then they’re not much of a conductor!
But if you really do need them, just turn cues on in the score and hide the ones on other instruments.

1 Like

Of course, LOL! Obviously the conductor will see the rhythm, it’s more about knowing what’s actually in the drum part. I’m not going to waste rehearsal time yelling at the drummer for missing all the hits if I have no idea what they actually have in their part. I need to see what they see.

1 Like

Exactly!

it’s more about knowing what’s actually in the drum part. I’m not going to waste rehearsal time yelling at the drummer for missing all the hits if I have no idea what they actually have in their part. I need to see what they see.

When writing drum set parts, there are a lot of decisions on what I want the drummer to back up and support and what he/she should ignore and just keep swinging. If the conductor can’t see this a lot of important information is missing.

1 Like

Thanks for these requests, which I’ve made a note of for possible future inclusion.

4 Likes

I just ran into this issue. I can’t seem to find the solution for showing the rhythmic cues in the score. What am I missing? Rhythmic cues in the drum parts showing in the scores been standard practice forever. I wonder why this isn’t the default in Dorico?

Edit: I figured out the solution but this should be the default. :slight_smile:

1 Like