Feature Request: Separate Input/Output Device selection

When trying to use more than one audio interface, Cubase/Nuendo only allows for (1) audio device to be detected which controls both audio input and output settings.

Other DAWs allow for (2) separate audio devices to control both input and output settings independently so the user can select Device (A) as Input and Device (B) as Output.

The Aggregate Device method doesn’t work as no settings in the “Core Audio Device Settings” window can be changed.

Can you please update this where the user can Select Device (A) as a separate Input and Device (B) as a separate Output?

Again this is how Ableton and Logic Pro X works!

1 Like

I think the reason Steinberg doesn’t prioritize this is that it doesn’t actually work well in practice.

The reason is that the two interfaces won’t be sample-synchronized, and thus you will get random glitches on input or output at random times. This can sometimes be worked around by making sure that both interfaces uses the same sample clock, if they both support external sync, but that’s a fiddly solution at best.

On Windows, you can also try this out with ASIO4All or other WASAPI aggregator ASIO implementations; it sounds like you’re using macOS, so perhaps there’s a similar tool for macOS to try out?

Here’s some screenshots:

Ableton

macOS native aggregator

Cubase Control Panel of the Aggregate Device ("CoreAudio Device Settings")

Are you saying that you can’t even change the buffer setting?

Anyway, the Control Panel of your main/output audio interface should be accessible from the Launchpad or the Apps folder.

Example of my Launchpad

Hi and thanks all for the replies.

Blockquote Are you saying that you can’t even change the buffer setting?

No, not speaking about the buffer settings as this works fine.

Ableton

So in Ableton, you can select (2) devices for input/output - output/input.
It doesn’t matter what order there is NO NEED to create or set up an Aggregate Device.

In Logic Pro X, you can select (2) devices for input/output - output/input.
It doesn’t matter what order there is NO NEED to create or set up an Aggregate Device.

“Core Audio Device Settings” configuration window can be changed but only for a single Device.
This is not beneficial for wanting to use (2) devices.

For Nuendo/Cubase this is the problem. We are restricted to using a single device for input/output - output/input setups.
WE NEED to create or set up an Aggregate Device for (2) audio devices.

Nuendo/ Cubase Aggregate Device Setup.
As shown above: There are no options to change the “Core Audio Device Settings - Input/Output Configuration” within Nuendo/Cubase for an Aggregrate Device.
This is vital if I want to use my Device.
The device is detected but cannot be activated within Nuendo/ Cubase without access to the "Core Audio Device Settings - Input/Output Configuration page shown above 3rd picture down”.

This is unlike the behavior in other DAWS such as Ableton/Logic Pro…etc…

1 Like

Question: Is it possible to use two different audio devices for input & output in Cubase?

Long-time attempted Cubase user. I want to upgrade to 13 but I need to split audio devices. Or at least, I need to find a setup that works. I don’t want to be stuck w/ Studio One DAW, Cubase is much better for my MIDI needs. But I can’t even get past setup w/ digital audio.

PROBLEM: No playback of recorded audio

I’d like to use my Mackie Mixer for input & my Presonus interface for output.

Setup

Mixer USB → computer (Mixer ProFX16 V3 not full-duplex)
Computer–>Audiobox USB
AudioBox USB–>powered monitors

I was happy last night just to get it to RECORD via Mackie interface a track. But – no playback, even though Mackie also connects to same powered monitors.

My situation & system are common. Can anyone help?

Instruments–>Mixer -->USB computer–>USB Interface–>Powered monitors

Question: Is it possible to use two different audio devices for input & output in Cubase?

Sorry to ask.