Feature-request: Snap to Zero-crossing in Audio Montages

I really wish the option to have the cursor go to the nearest zero-crossing was available in Audio Montages. This is because if I want to make a gapless album for digital release such as Spotify, first I have to split the tracks in the Audio Editor using its “Snap to Zero-crossing” feature and then import the files in the Audio Montage. Extra work and steps that do not need to be there. And if I want to find tune the start of the gapless track, I need to go back again to the Audio Editor and make the change and then re-import the file or have its markers imported again. Not convenient or elegant.

can’t you quantize markers or splice markers from the CD wizard or markers menus? that moves things to zero crossings… yes? (someone please confirm! as i run into this wish/solution often)

if using CD wizard use Pause set to “0” zero
maybe you mean something else !?

regards S-EH

With this function, this is quite easy:

Thanks everyone for the all the replies.

@PG1 thanks for that. Yes, I’ve been doing that but not as efficient or convenient as just clicking the “snap to zero-crossing” when editing inside the Audio Editor. However, if I want to change the place of the zero-crossing then I have to go back again in the original Audio Editor of that audio file and change the placement of the marker on the zero-crossing, save it, delete the existing audio file in the audio montage, and then re-import in the audio-montage. Not efficient and slowing everything down. It introduces 4-5 different steps instead of just a single click. Also increases room for error.

@S-EHansson - interesting! but wouldn’t that change all of the markers at once? And I don’t believe it snaps to a “zero-crossing”. What if I want to change just one of the markers?

You can “snap to zero-crossing” in the Audio Editor but not when working in an Audio Montage.

It seems that doing this in the montage would be complex for a few reasons:

1. Overlapping Clips Would Make This Less Clear
  2. Montage Plugin Processing Would Make This Harder To Predict
1 Like

“snap to zero-crossing” only really makes sense for mono files. On Stereo, zero-crossing is not always possible on exactly both L/R channels, hence it’s better not to rely blindly on this.
Using heavy zooming is a good alternative.

Thanks both for the replies.

@PG1 You are correct that mono files work better for “snap to zero-crossing”, however this feature is available for stereo files in the Audio Editor.

@Justin_Perkins really good points on the montage plugin processing. I did not think of that. Regarding overlapping clips, it could occur on the selection region of the clip.