Feature Request: Suspend Snap Mode and Suspend Relative Grid

When in Snap mode, I like how I can suspend snap when dragging the edge of an object by hitting “command” on Mac (I think its COntrol in windows). Why not also be able to hit “command” to turn off snap when dragging a whole object?

Also, in Relative Grid Mode with Snap on, why not be able to hold “command” to temporarily suspend Relative grid and snap things right to the absolute grid.

These two shortcuts would help me out a lot.

+1
Being able to suspend snapping with a modifier key would save me many hundreds of clicks and key presses per day.

Yes, definately. It would make a lot of sense too :slight_smile:

Yes, like this one.

+1

Yes. A key to disable snap just while held would be very nice!
J.L.

+1 here too :wink:

+1 yes please.

Mike.

errr… hit the J key? Yes I know it toggles, not momentarily suspend, but it’s only one extra key-press. My left hand tends to hover over the F-G-H-J keys all the time… that and a tilting scroll-wheel, that’s my navigation sorted…

It is actually 2 key presses - one to turn off, then one to turn it back on again.
Plus, because J is a toggle, you need to first check the current status of snap, then decide whether to turn off or on. And the “snap” button on the toolbar blends in with all the other buttons, so you have to visually search for it (a little bit)…

[pedant mode on/] well it’s one EXTRA keypress…[pedant mode off/]

I do agree that C6 colours make it much harder to see if buttons are on or off… style over practicality…

It’s nice to hear people agreeing with this suggestion. For me, that fact there isn’t a modifier to suspend the snap in Cubase is the biggest problem with the whole program. Having come from DP, Logic and Protools, it just seems unthinkable that this wouldn’t have been there from the start.

Can anyone name any DAWs that don’t have this? Ok, Reason doesn’t, but are there any others?

Cubase rocks, I just want it to rock harder…

David

+1 here.

Agree with dbwalter. In DP/Logic/Pro Tools, I’m using too, it’s very useful.

+1.

Yeah +1 from me too. .
But in the meantime the best thing I ever did was move snap on/off from the j key to the a button. I can now switch snap on/off without looking down as my usual working positon is left hand resting around cntrl/alt/ shift to use as modifiers.
I took this further and made shift+a and shift+q toggle up and down through snap types so I can go from grid to relative without looking.
Also made alt+a and alt+q toggle up and down through quantize values so I can quickly move up and down through these.
Next set cntr+alt+a to toggle triplets on/off and cntr+shift+a to toggle dotted notes on/off
Finally a macro tied to cntr+alt+shift+a resets everything back to grid with a quantize value of 1/1.

I can honestly say once familiar with these shortcuts you should be able to change settings without moving the mouse or looking away from the screen. I’ve impressed many a protools/logic user by the speed at which I get things done in Cubase.

But a dedicated suspend snap modifier would still have its place.

+1 :sunglasses: :bulb:

But in the meantime the best thing I ever did was move snap on/off from the j key to the a button. I can now switch snap on/off without looking down as my usual working positon is left hand resting around cntrl/alt/ shift to use as modifiers.
I took this further and made shift+a and shift+q toggle up and down through snap types so I can go from grid to relative without looking…

Thank you for suggesting this, my left hand lives down that end of the keyboard. It’s a simple, decent workaround…
…for the time being. (Hopefully!)

+1

But I too like the OP’s FR.
{‘-’}

Another +1! It’s sure to be a crowd pleaser if Steinberg includes it in the next update.

I am a habitual user of the J key (and have dabbled with moving J to a more convenient key in the home position too) However, momentarily disabling snap via a modifier would be such a time saver for the way I work.

It’s just a couple seconds of work delay now (using J to snap on/off), but that couple seconds happens over and over and over and over. I get in a real work groove when editing, and can edit so fast (thank you Cubase!) that I really feel each and every workflow slowdown. Hitting that “J” key off/on all the time (and looking up to see if snap is already disabled/enabled) is the main action that puts a spanner in the works over here. And again - it happens over and over and over and over…

Aj

Its 8 years later and I was just googling for this function. Does it still not exist?