Feature Request:Swing that beat

The quantizer seems to be perfect for getting the exaggerated swing that certain drummers prefer. I too think dynamic control is the perfect way to humanize a beat and often to get a swing effect with a little help from the quantizer. Normally the note value of a drum beat is normally rather costant.

One of those rare occasions I believe Conman is speaking of is, for instance a jazz piano style. Dynamic variation is a must, but a swing is needed on multiple note values in this case. I don’t write jazzy piano music, but some rather modern and classic compositons (like my prefered styles to write) can benefit from a strong swing. Many of us who don’t care to mic a piano, or like myself when composing in say the score editor need a little swing. I always add sustain and dynamics to go for something less mechanical, but many times that doesn’t cut it. Although, like Conmans says, Cubase isn’t made exclusively for pianists and few have expressed a need for a different swing system, so the quantizer will stay for the time being. I have yet to understand what changes lol would like to see made and why.

You want ALL notes swung? No solid “4 0n the floor” under the swung 8ths?

Well, now that you mention it, the left hand normaly needs to be straight and solid without the swing. In the right hand, the notes aren’t always going to be one value, 8, 16, or the crazy people doing 32nd…
Maybe it should be left to performance to determine the swing, although I doubt that a swing in the bass would be all that noticeable. Or you could do the bass in a different track…

I don’t know, Steinberg should come up with the best way, this is making my head hurt! :laughing: