Feature Request: Voice specific dynamics indicator

When you select a dynamic, the word Dynamic shows in the status bar (one could argue that is rather redundant, but still). What would be great is that if the dynamic is voice specific the status bar could show ‘Dynamic - Voice X’…

I have read arguments on the forum saying if the dymamic is not clear to the player that it is voice specific then you are doing bad engraving, but this would be really useful for sometimes untangling things in the new compleity school piano engraing that I do.

When you select a dynamic you can see in the piano roll editor which voice it belongs to.

2 Likes

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I’m having trouble with this also — it would be great to have a way to see whether or not a dynamic is voice-specific. I’m working through a score where I’m having to change all the dynamics that were already there to voice-specific dynamics, and after stepping away for two weeks and coming back I’m not sure where I left off.

The piano roll editor method suggested by Grainger doesn’t seem to work for me. In my piano roll the top staff is always gray and the bottom staff is always red (unless I select particular notes, which then turn orange). But clicking on dynamics (that I know are voice-specific) doesn’t change the appearance of the piano roll at all. Am I missing something?

And if not, can I add an upvote to the feature request for a way to determine whether dynamics are voice-specific or not? :slight_smile:

1 Like

A quickish workaround for now:
Select All. Filter > Voices > All Up-stem Voices. - This will keep selected all the dynamics that are attached to upstem voices.

Or if you have a bunch attached independently to down-stem voices too, you could

1. Select All.
  2. Filter All Dynamics
  3. Set Filter to Deselect.
  4. Filter Deselect All Up-stem Voices.
  5. Filter Deselect All Down-Stem Voices.
    This’ll leave just the global dynamics selected (and is much quicker to do than to explain - the jump bar is a real help for these sorts of actions.)
1 Like

Do you not see something like this?

Hi Grainger, I don’t — see my screenshots above. The notes in the piano roll editor don’t change in any way when I select different voices.

Brilliant as always, Leo. Thank you!!

I think the issue is that you are using a grand staff instrument. When you apply different dynamics to different voices it does affect the volume of that voice, providing the expression map is set up correctly, but you are right in the fact you can’t see the voice the dynamic is applied to in the piano roll on the top left hand side… This is because it is assumed that all the voices on a grand staff are routed to the same instrument.
If you try say a flute staff and turn on IRV in the Inspector in PLAY mode (the button has a new icon in 4.2) and create two voices on the flute staff, you will find that it works as expected - you can see the voice number in the piano roll in the top left corner and this also applies to any specific voice applied dynamics.
I agree that for clarity when programming it would be useful for the same behavior to work on a grand staff instrument even if the routing is not split out. One workaround that might work (I haven’t tried it) is to apply IRV to a grand staff instrument (not in front of my computer to check if this is possible)…then route all the independent voices to the same VST. In this scenario, if it’s possible, you would get the visual feedback you want for each voice/dynamic. I will check this in the morning!

UPDATE
This does work on a Grand Staff Instrument. If you select IRV in the routing section of PLAY mode, each voice will have it’s own ‘track’. In the piano roll you will be able to see the voice number and any associated voice specific dynamics in the top left corner. Each voice needs to be individually routed to the VST of your choice which means that if you are working on a piano part in WRITE mode for example, and you create a new voice, you will have to go to PLAY mode to route that new voice to your piano VST, otherwise it will not sound.

I appreciate you following up. I still don’t think it’s working for me though, unless I’m just missing something (which is entirely probable!). I turned on IRV in the routing section of Play mode and I see all the voices with their own track. Back in Write mode, I see the voice indicator in the top left corner:

But then when I select a dynamic in the lower staff, which should be Staff (b), the indicator in the top left doesn’t change at all:

I also tried creating a non-voice-specific dynamic, and the indicator again stayed the same, not showing anything different.

What am I doing wrong??

I’d like this feature very much too. All these techniques are way too hard. I can barely follow them. In fact, I can’t at all. Maybe Dorico could add a feature where the dynamic could be coloured the same as the voice it is associated with when voice colours are turned on. Something simple like that. This is so needed for piano music.

1 Like

Ajharbison: You need to have the link button active…your screenshot is of the treble clef notes…If you have the link button active you will see the bass clef notes and hopefully the dynamic should be indicated appropriately.
It’s also important to enter voice specific dynamics using the caret and then holding down option return to enter (at least on a Mac). There’s no reason why it shouldn’t work for you.

Ah, I see now — yes, the link button makes a big difference. :grin: I see the top left corner now reflecting the voice of the dynamic I have selected. Thank you for taking the time to get me all the way there!