Feature Request: Voices & Slash Notation for Pop/Jazz Charts

Switch to Engrave mode, where you can select just the quarter and hide the stem, then switch back to Write.

Yeah, the defaults are too small. You can customize these a bit though in Engraving Options:

Unfortunately Dorico includes the l.v. tie when calculating horizontal spacing, so in the case like above, it is stopping before the barline and there is additional unneeded space. I’d like to see a checkbox or something to have Dorico not include l.v. ties in horizontal spacing calculations.

Assuming you are using Diagonal or Stacked arrangement, Dorico almost does this already in Galley.

But of course it looks like this in Page:

I too would like an option to automatically get something like this in Page:

4 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions!
Yes of course, but this is also a workaraound. Both ways are okay, but cumbersome.

I agree. It’s kind of better with longer l.v. ties, but not ideal. At least you can see them better…

Yes I use diagonal arrangement.

Exactly !! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess I don’t really mind Ctrl+3, Hide Stem, Ctrl+2, and I’m back writing. You could make that all one command with a StreamDeck or a macro program if you wanted.

1 Like

I’m not in front of a computer just now, but isn’t Hide Stem now available via the jump bar in Write mode?

2 Likes

I have set up a key command to hide stems (H). So It is basically “U” (to un-tie) - select note - H - T (to tie again).
Yes a macro program will be the next thing that I’ll try out.
Again: I’m not saying this isn’t possible - it’s just that instead of 3rd party macro programs, it could be implemented in Dorico itself, as so many other great features are, that make using Dorico a breeze! :slight_smile: I think this was the point of daltonjazz, that originally started the post, and I agree.

1 Like

Yes you are right. With the new update it’s easy to assign a key command as well. The problem was not to hide the stem, but rather select only one of the stems when notes are tied. See my example above… :slight_smile:

Gotcha - sorry.

Is it possible to combine notehead and slash rhythm head in the same measure? Or is it one or the other?
Regular Notehead as SlashRhythmHead

Normally you would use separate voices, which can’t be beamed together like that.

If you want them beamed together you can change the noteheads on those notes to slash noteheads.

1 Like

I was actually thinking about this a bit, and have a problem with the semantics of this notation, as in: “What am I supposed to play here?”
The chord is clearly anticipated on the 4+, but for how long does the melody note ring out? Or is this the top note for that specific voicing?
Maybe there is notation to clarify this for the performer, and at the same time avoid tying to the slash region and the l.v. thingy?

Cheers,
Benji

Can Dorico create cue notes inside of Slash Regions?

Yes. It can do notated cues or rhythmic cues. Try it and see.

You may find that it’s difficult to select the point at which the cue should start within a slash region (I don’t recall whether cues are able to take their cue – pun very much intended – from a selected slash within a slash region), in which case show the caret at the point at which you want the cue to begin, and then use the Shift+U popover to add it there. Once it has been created, you can lengthen or shorten it in the usual way.

1 Like

To the original question, doesn’t the start voice and end voice options work for this?

I’ve been using these to good effect, though sometimes it requires movibg the slash voice around from up stem to down stem and so on. I’ll grab some before and after screens in a moment.

However a question regarding showing voices within a slash region, is it possible to only show a selected voice? I frequently create a part with notation for playback only, and combine with slash and rhythmic slash notation, but i have to split the slash region in order to only display the rhythm slashes. Fiddly.

Here are the screens for the start and end voice options for those that might find them useful:-

After changing a voice to slash:-

Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 13.56.28

Change the semi quaver rest to start the notated voice:-

Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 14.04.39

Then set the last note in the slash voice to Ends voice immediately:

Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 14.04.51

Which appears to be what the op is after?

No, you can only choose whether to show all the music lurking behind the slash region, or none of it.

I always just select the two half rests and hit remove rests… :thinking:

Would like to be able to show cue notes in a slash region. Not possible?

1 Like

I have an empty percussion instrument (I’ve renamed to “Cues”) that I write any rhythmic cues into, then I cue this instrument to the drums where necessary.

EDIT
Whoops, maybe you didn’t mean drums!!

Works fine for me. You have to make sure that you have cues set to show in that Layout, but otherwise works.

Score:

Part:

(I’ll add that there really needs to be an option to show cues in both score and part for a specific instrument. Drum cues are not “cues” as they are for other instruments. They are the actual part and the conductor needs to see it.)

3 Likes

I asked about this before but didn’t seem like anyone was interested. I think only the 3rd line has the neat and professional look I would want.