Feature requests for shortcuts

In my daily work I am missing a few shortcuts in the montage which would make my life a lot easier:

1- Go to end of track (not end of montage)
2- paste selection to end of track (with crossfade)
3- Zoom to as many tracks as possible
4- Zoom to one track with a set horizontal zoom

For the last two presets would work well, however, as far as I can see the presets will currently always go to a certain position of the montage, which is not what I need.

Johannes

Thanks for the suggestions.
What do you mean with #4 (there is alread a track zoom function).

I cannot find it, where is it?

The main problem with Wavelab I have is the missing manual. Having started from scratch with WL7 on the Mac, it is sometimes pretty impossible to find your way around. The un-Mac-likeness doesn’t help, but where is the Manual?

One thing that would really help me speed up my work:
Auto-Solo tracks as soon as they are selected.

See attachement.

Auto-Solo tracks as soon as they are selected.

Audio solo?
2012-01-10_13-14-53.png

I am not sure what you mean. I know I can solo a track by pressing “O”. However, it would make it much more efficient for me, if I didn’t have to do this. Instead, as soon as I click on a track, solo it (without the extra key stroke). Is this possible? It would make my day.

I also have another caveat which makes my life difficult: I often work at the end of a Montage track. As soon as pling back the soloed track reaches the end, playback stops. That’s fine. However, if accidentally I hit the space bar again, playback restarts from the beginning of the Montage. This has happened to me so many times lately, and every time I have to scroll back to the place where I was working (which is not the end of the Montage, there is material on other tracks). Is there a way to deactivate the jump to the beginning?

Johannes

If you click directly on the solo button in the track lane you solo the track with one click. Isn’t that what you want?

This must be a setting issue. If I playback a soloed track to the end and I press spacebar after the playback has stopped, the playback does not jump back to the beginning. I would advise you to check your settings in the transport functions menu.

Isn’t this the same as the show everything (“Alles anzeigen”) in the zoom options under the “Ansicht” menu? You can assign your personal key stroke for this.

Sort of, but not really. Then I would still have to place the playback cursor. What I would like is to click into the clip at a certain position, and immediately start the soloed playback of that track only, from the position I clicked at.

This must be a setting issue. If I playback a soloed track to the end and I press spacebar after the playback has stopped, the playback does not jump back to the beginning. I would advise you to check your settings in the transport functions menu.

I tried everything and it is still doing it. Drives me nuts. Can someone tell me where I find this setting. What does it do for you, not play at all?

[quote=“JGebauer”]
In my daily work I am missing a few shortcuts in the montage which would make my life a lot easier:
3- Zoom to as many tracks as possible
[/quote]

Isn’t this the same as the show everything (“Alles anzeigen”) in the zoom options under the “Ansicht” menu? You can assign your personal key stroke for this.

No, this shows me the complete length of the Montage. I don’t want the horizontal zoom changed at all, instead display as many tracks as possible vertically. Instead I have to press command-shift-L many times until nothing changes any more.

Ok, after having a closer look at it I found out that it is the same here: After the playback of the soloed track has stopped automatically at the end of the last clip, another hit on the spacebar causes playback from the beginning again. I didn’t notice at first because the cursor stays at the end of the track. Here the display does not switch back to the beginning however because I obviously have another setting of the display during playback (in german): Optionen->Bildlauf während der Wiedergabe->Wellenform steht. With this setting the display does not follow the playback automatically and you don’t have to scroll back again.

Ah, I understand. I think the only alternative to your current way of dealing with this is to grab the boarder of the vertikal bar at the very right and pull it to complete length.

Hi,

“Solo” key O
“Mute” key U

use Tab key and Shift to move to Track in Montage down/up

(could be more elegant if Solo track worked like in Cubase
when moving with the Tab key-instant access to the track in playback)

“Navigator” found in Peripheral window / Workspace/Specific tool windows
is useful for fast zooming too

just ideas

regards S-EH

Yes, I use the solo key all the time. I am using it so much, it is wearing out.

What I am asking for is not having to use it. Click in a track and it is automagically soloed.

Ah, that’s what they are for. Very unMac, but still, good to know, I guess. Not exactly what I am after, but useful.

See, this application really asks a lot from a dedicated Mac-person. It feels like being on a PC with Win 3.1. Good app, but dreadful UI on the Mac.

(The worst are the save dialogs , each one is different, some allow for a standard dialog in front of the very odd Wavelab one, some don’t even do that. Earlier today I almost gave up saving because I really couldn’t work out how to save my file in a certain folder. This really has to be changed. I know of no other Mac program which has such awful file saving procedures. Nor can I see any reasons for this.)

Johannes

If you prefer the standard box, try this:
2012-01-13_19-17-18.png
But when you are used to the standard WaveLab way, you have more quick possibilities.

I know this option, and where possible I use it. However, there are certain save dialogs where this option doesn’t exist. Furthermore it is very un-Mac to have several of these on top of eachother, plus I really cannot see why the standard Mac dialog can’t be used. There are other programs which use it, but still add more options to it.

Typing path names may be something Windows users are used to. On the Mac it is unheard of.

Philippe, I am not trying to be smart here, but Wavelab really is very un-Mac at the moment. One is constantly under shock, often just for the look of it, at other times because things don’t work the way one expects.

It also needs a manual. I don’t care whether it is an electronic manual, or a printed one. But the current help system is a joke without a manual.

Typing paths is only an option. Personaly, the less i type, the better. These dialogs allow to reuse old paths and names easily, and this is a plus.

PG & Johannes:
(Forgive me interjecting the little commentary below, and feel free to disregard it, as I am a very new user of Wavelab…But, without putting words in his mouth, I feel like I have a good idea where Johannes is coming from…)

I really like a lot of things about Wavelab that are different from the ‘Mac-like’ options– In fact, something must not be “Mac-like” for the better, because they don’t exist on any other Mac editor, which is why we’re using Wavelab! Plus, I don’t know that the other UI approaches that are thought of as “Mac-like” are necessarily better– IMHO, I don’t think ‘Inspectors’ are a much better approach than whatever was there before them.

I hear Johannes on some of the dialog boxes and related stuff. I don’t necessarily see the Wavelab ones as being that much better from the one I see in every single other application I use to make it such such an obvious improvement. Some aspects are better, but they’re integrated in the way Johannes suggests, which kind of makes it a draw.

But there are the occasional places where strictly sticking to “the Wavelab way” starts to become a liability. The filing-cabinet thing is awesome, and it’s great that it’s implemented so many places within Wavelab…But I can’t really see myself having a library-system in a dialog to make 2 parameter choices.

What I noticed for me, is that a “Mac-like” UI in an editor to me means Peak, because there isn’t much else to refer to (I know the choices and the history, but I got stuck with Peak somehow). Peak looks rather Mac-like, but was always the least stable or thought-through software I’d ever seen on the Mac by a margin– People in other related fields did not have the kind of complaints about their software as I had. Wavelab appears to be a much more well-reasoned and thoroughly-vetted piece of software which is, in my humble experience, what a good ‘Mac-like’ program is. However, there is a certain small gap between all the great ideas that have gone into Wavelab and what I would look for in the visual interface and (English) terminology of an ideal editor. This all makes perfect sense, since Wavelab naturally reflects the background and approach of its author & Steinberg (which are different, than mine) and the fact that it became a Mac program long after it was already a mature Windows one. But there is no doubting that Wavelab is a jarring change from all the other Mac apps I use (switching between them can get to be a trip!). And even though I don’t know exactly what all those ingredients are, the difference is still not subtle or insignificant

Best,
Brian