Feature Requests: Is this where hopes come to die?

After seeing the new Cubase 13 adding a number of features that, as far as I can tell, no one asked for (UI, I’m looking at you), and broken or missing items requested here ignored, I was wondering if there is any point to making feature requests here at all?

Considering the voting system here is, well, useless (Hey Steinberg, people might want to vote for more than a few things), and votes seem to mean nothing to what gets actually gets done. It feels like we’re all just wasting time here.

Is anyone from the company even here?

Do they even care what features have the most “votes” at all?

2 Likes

I would like to hope they do take a look at these forums and take some notes based on our thoughts but it’s not guaranteed i guess.
C13 for me is truly the first time i’ve hated an update but right now the new warp features in the sampler have kept me around using it around the bugs and UI changes so i guess i’m forced and locked in lol

1 Like

For me there is nothing in 13 that really speaks to me. I was hoping for some upgrades the metering. 12 is fine for me.

1 Like

Here are my thoughts on this:

• I posted a similar post regarding voting. Long time users admitted that voting is pointless. So Steinberg should remove it.
  • Steinberg employees do seem to respond sometimes. I suspect it’s related to topics they consider important OR topics with a large amount of responses and activity. For example, they did eventually respond to the v13 UI problems in a very large thread.

Now the larger topic: What is Steinberg’s priority? What are they working on? What influences their decisions regarding their updates?

This is such a complicated subject. Steinberg has decided that their business model is dependent on sales of products and their updates. Each update has to be appealing enough to inspire new user purchases and update purchases from established users.

Here’s why the update business model is messy: They have to create updates that attract new users. They want new users to be included in their eco-system. So a vocoder seems more appealing than a list of bug fixes. But bug fixes is still appealing to established users. So they need to strike that balance.

Not only that, from my experience mediocre updates can be a sign of active development of other things. For example, I am currently beta testing X product. It includes a feature they have not announced yet. In order to meet certain demands they released other features first while excluding something specific that is still being tested. For all we know, Steinberg wanted to release something else in v13 but they decided to wait.

This means that I wouldn’t be surprised if Steinberg excluded something from v13 because it is still in development.

Alternative approaches
I’ve seen a company that decided to pull back from the feature based updates approach and instead focused on “Quality of life improvements” for an entire year and more. They maintained a blog discussing all the user experience improvements, bug fixes, and opened it up to feedback. This unfortunately may only work with a subscription model.

So those are my thoughts on this subject.

3 Likes

I have encountered quite a number of folks that despised the UI prior to now.

1 Like

I agree with a lot of this, and have predicted that there are probably more sweeping changes planned to roll out across versions 13-15.

I know that many users are repulsed by bug fixes pay-walled behind updates, so you’re right, there is quite the balance to strike between addressing long running concerns and enticing newcomers, which to me really means justifying what at this point feels like a yearly subscription.

1 Like

This is definitely what I try to tell people. If Cubase was a simple application, there would be little argument in favor of a subscription model. However, Cubase is a massive, 30+ year old application with a huge amount of legacy code. I don’t believe people should complain about their meh* updates if they also don’t support a subscription offering.

I agree that a yearly update basically is a subscription model and personally, I like the idea that they’re sneaking that in. With that in mind, I don’t think they’re charging enough. If they had a premium plan where I could finance more improvements, I would do it. I would rather use Nuendo (I’m actually not using Cubase) instead of Pro Tools.

*Personally, I’m fine their v13 update

2 Likes

I’ll just throw out that my biggest annoyance with Nuendo 12 and prior and Cubase before I moved to Nuendo was the crash on shut down issue. I’ve had Cubase or Nuendo since Cubase 9.5 I think it was. And I had the crash on shut down issue since the beginning. With the exit to the Hub, that seems to have done something to sort that out. Before I always would close the project, let Nuendo sit for a good 3 or 4 minutes (usually going and doing something else for a couple of minutes) and then go tell Nuendo to shut down.

And while I wasn’t asking for it, all of the MIDI plug ins seem to have had their UIs updated a bit, or at least it looks like that to me. And I think that’s a good thing.

As always, when it comes to updates, reactions will typically be all over the map. From I see no reason to pay for this to I love all the new features. This update just seems to have hit a nerve a bit more because a fairly vocal group really don’t like the UI change. It’s fine to me, but I get it, everyone has different tastes and opinions and needs.