Now I’ve finally worked with Dorico for two weeks on a couple of arrangements where I didn’t have any needs for chords, 1st and 2nd endings and all the other stuff that’s not implemented yet. The more I get used to it the more I like it and now it feels a bit sad going back to Sibelius again, waiting for the features I need for my work. I’m now almost as fast with note input as in Sibelius. Over all this feels very promising and I really like working with Dorico!
Even though I like it very much there are things that bother me a bit, so here is a long list with questions, feature wishes and also some potential bugs. I’m sorry if some of these things already are discussed here on the forum.
• Setting up a Custom score order, like in this vocal score, doesn’t affect the score at all. Bug?
• How to achieve this with tempo text?
• How to setup how many times a repeat should be played?
• Working with the layout is a bit of a pain since it’s a pretty mouse heavy work. If the selection method in Engrave mode would work the same way as in Write mode things would be much easier. (e.g. Clicking an empty spot in the bar selects the whole bar, extend a selection with shift/cmd etc.)
• I’d love to see an option to define a basic format of the parts, like 4 bars/row. This is a timesaver when it comes to laying out parts for the rhythm section in a jazz group.
• The Copy part layout in Sibelius saves a lot of time, working with parts with similar content. (e.g. vln 1 & 2)
• The Sibelius feature ”Unlock format” is very good when I need to start all over with the layout of a part or score.
• I’d like an option to toggle all the signposts on/off (i.e. the ones selected to be shown in the view-menu) The best way, in my opinion, would be to setup which signposts to show and then simply disable/activate that setting.
• When they appear at the same position as a text object, the text object is hidden behind the signpost. This is not very practical…
• The program is much quicker now than the initial release, but there is a big latency when inputting notes with a midi keyboard.
• I can’t find out how to split and reorganize beams manually, is it possible yet? (beams across barlines etc.)
• I guess this picture speaks for itself.
• Is it possible to change voice of an existing note?
• When working with a document containing more than one flow the navigation is a bit tricky. It’d be great if ”Home” would be at the start of the actual Flow I’m working with and not the beginning of the whole document. So when I’m working with one Flow I’d like, in some way, to see them as separate documents within the same document, if you understand what I mean. So that I’m always navigating within the actual Flow. Maybe an option like ”Go to flow” or something, would be great.
To be continued…