Fermata playback question

In this example, how do I get the fermata playback to pause only on the first eighth note triplet of the bar, and keep the remainder of the bar at tempo?

At present, the playback tempo is slow though the whole bar.

Hi @VV1 I tried it and it seems that (in my example below) Dorico makes the Fermata one half note long. It should be possible to move the endpoint of the Fermata one quarter earlier, but I was not able to do it. See Ex. 1 and Picture 1

The only way I found, in such scenarios, is to write manually the points (start and end point of the fermata and its value) See Ex. 2 and Picture 2

Did I miss something? Any other ideas…?

Ex.1

fermata lenght.dorico (991.2 KB)

Picture 1

Ex. 2

fermata lenght MANUAL.dorico (574.7 KB)

Picture 2

I can confirm this. I wonder if the triplet somehow affects the fermata implementation. Of course one can override this manually by entering explicit/hidden tempo markings, but @VV1’s point still stands.

1 Like

I have tried many different things, and it seems to depend on the long note in another staff. But not always! (??) The tuplets don’t seem to have anything to do with it. Annotated project attached.

Fermata Length MJ.dorico (430.5 KB)

Very interesting @Mark_Johnson.

If I understand correctly how Holds work in Dorico (please someone corrects me if I missed something) the concept of hold duration and subsequent gap is very good implemented. But the length of the hold (fermata in this case) looks to be automatic. Hold duration and length are, I believe , 2 separate things and it doesn’t seem to exist a setting for the length (see conclusion below*) :

1. It looks like that, in the presence of a rest, Dorico chooses the long notes in other voice to decide the length of the fermata. (the issue of OP)

2)and when no rest appear, Dorico writes the end-point of the fermata (the length of the fermata) in the tempo track, corresponding to half the value of the shortest note when are no rests, as in bar 2 of marks example. (this is OK and desirable)

*) My conclusion: There are no settings (apart from manually edit in key editor) to decide what should happen when the fermata should apply only to a rest, or only on specific notes.

It would be maybe interesting in the future to be able to apply a fermata (maybe with alt and click?) only to specific notes (as it happens for local time signatures for example), or to have a setting to set the length of it and to witch note or rest it should be applied, so that Dorico can know how long the fermata should be, and on wich notes to apply it and the shortening (in the example below the played duration reduction is applied to the whole note):

(sorry for this little tortuous post…It may be very wrong what I wrote. I hope I explained my thoughts understandably enough. Happy to hear some comments so that I can understand better this matter)

Here also a related post…

1 Like

Sorry, another comparison to understand better how Fermata is designed, correlated to my previous post.

Hope that the example below is self explanatory:

-in the upper example the length of fermata correspond to the eight note rest to witch it is applied to

-in the lower example, adding a long note in another voice changes the length of the fermata

So it appears that a fermata applies to the shortest note, if any, that plays on that beat, not to a shorter rest where it may actually be placed.

All right, at least now I understand what’s happening. (I’m surprised I didn’t notice: the difference in my example was that it didn’t have a rest.)

2 Likes

Two ways to solve the problem that @VV1 demonstrated in the original post:

Create a new notehead set containing a single notehead which looks like an eighth rest. Replace the real eighth rests with eighth notes on the middle staff line, change their noteheads to use the new notehead set, hide the stems of the fake rests, split the beam after each fake rest, and suppress playback of the fake rests.

An easier solution is to suppress playback of the fermatas and add hidden tempo changes, one at the start of each rest to reduce the tempo and one at the end of each rest to restore the prevailing tempo as @Derrek suggested.