Fermatas in Playback?

Is there a workaround for having a pause playback between bars? For instance by hiding a measure?

In play mode, you can slow down the tempo at that spot, and shorten the duration of the notes to create a perceived gap.

I wish I new howā€¦ maybe Iā€™m missing something but everything is SO small in thereā€¦ and then what? Set final chord to q=5 and force length via drawing to something way more shorter???

Changing tempo: Inputting tempo changes in the Time track

Changing played duration: Lengthening/Shortening notes in the piano roll editor

1 Like

At this moment the most simple solution seems to be inserting an empty measure, making it a lot smaller via engraving horizontal note spacing, and unfortunately NOT being able to hide the measure bar. Iā€™m getting a bit frustrated here.
Next option: create a duplicate file in which I use viewable empty measure. Do we really need 2 files, one for playback, one for print? Reminds me of an old primitive called Finaleā€¦j

Donā€™t use the F word, please. Thereā€™s a correct way to do it thatā€™s much better than your workaround.

1 Like

You do not need a separate file. You just need to learn the techniques Dan has linked. Think of it this way: once you learn them, you can apply them over and over again, so it is worth the effort.

ā€¦and just to complete the circle, weā€™re all agreed that fermata and cesura playback will be wonderful when it arrivesā€¦

2 Likes

Yes!!!

Dr Paul Walmsley has already stated that this is a tricky issue theyā€™re working on. No doubt that the team will provide an elegant and efficient answer in due course. For the time being, Danā€™s answer should do the trick.

Thank you Dan, Iā€™ll figure it out together with your suggestion

Thanks for the gif.
Great to have a piano roll in Dorico to do it like in a daw ā€¦

Thatā€™s already it, until Dorico will soon have the fermata sign interpreted directly

Hello Dorico crew,
Are there any news about the playback of the fermatas and the breath marks in the next update?
Would be nice if you add some settings for them in the Properties Panel. :slight_smile:

Thank you in advance! :slight_smile:

No newsā€¦

Playback of fermatas, holds, and breath marks is planned, but it will require a significant effort and you should not expect it in the forthcoming minor update.

Is it possible that we might have the playback of fermatas in the next major update?

Itā€™s certainly possible, but until something has actually been implemented itā€™s impossible to say with absolute certainty. (Software development is hard, plans and timelines change, unexpectedly difficulties arise, etc.)

Hopefully something like Notion does. Double click on the fermata, set the duration, and voila! Itā€™s also hard to understand why ā€œFā€ had fermata playback in v26, but ā€˜lostā€™ it in v27.
Weā€™ll just have to wait and see.

Five years.

Ok for the fermatas, but the problem is even bigger with pauses, because you donā€™t get the ā€œrestā€ between the two parts. And this can be especially annoying if youā€™re using certain VSTs, because the VST will consider it a legato.

I donā€™t understand. A fermata is a pauseā€¦