Few problems with my first composition using Dorico

Hello,

I started using Dorico and I have few problems.
Screenshot 2018-12-16 at 16.01.07.png
Referring the attached image, I would like the second note being displayed as a 1/16 + 1/8 tied together. I’ve tried changing some options in the Note Grouping set of options (Notation Options) without success.

Moreover, always this second note (C) is playing a bit to strong, and I would like lower it a bit without any effect in the current notation. Is this possible?

Thank you in advance for the help,
Claudio

You can use Force Durations to override Dorico’s decisions for how notes are shown rhythmically. Delete the second note, then start note input there, and hit O to engage Force Durations: the G clamp in the toolbox on the left-hand side of Write mode will be illuminated. Specify the durations you want to write, e.g. 4 for a 16th, then the note, then T for tie, then 5 for an 8th, then the note, and provided you had Force Durations switched on, you should see the expected notation. I wouldn’t advise working with Force Duration on all the time, but for this kind of localised edit it is practical.

There’s no specific velocity control yet in Play mode. You could assign a quieter dynamic to that note only, and add a dynamic on the next note to resume the dynamic of the larger context, and then hide both of them using the Properties panel on the bottom (Ctrl-8). You’ll see a signpost which indicates they’re there, just hidden from the score.

I input your example using Force Duration, as Daniel described above.

hide dynamics.png

Thank you very much for your answers.