Figured Bass Passing Notes

Using Dorico’s new figured bass, I want to add a dash above a bass note to indicate a passing note as taught many moons ago at music college and which is common for Mozart and others. I have tried everything but can find no way of doing this using the figured bass input.

I have also tried searching and viewing the videos but can find no mention of this.

Is this possible or will I have to try using text input.

Thanks.

1 Like

You want to show just a dash, not a hold line or suspension connected to a preceding figure? If so, then yes, you will need to add it using Shift+X text.

Thanks Daniel.

I’ve just come across the same issue. A while ago I transcribed a Michael Haydn piece and put in the figured bass with Figurato, rendering the passing note dashes as a lyric extenders. This sort of worked but looks - and is - wrong. I want to revise the score by using the native Dorico figured bass function. Any chance of Dorico being able to put in the dashes from the Shift-G popover in a future update?

1 Like

Same request here…

We don’t have any concrete plans for this at the moment, but it’s something we may be able to add in a future version.

1 Like

Same situation here in bars 115 and 118.

Semantically there is an implied 3 with duration, with the 3 hidden (actually 53 is implied, but only a single hold line is wanted).

Interesting question whether this would be better written with “nothing” on the dotted half notes and the hold line just under the quarter notes. Thoughts?

Best wishes to all in these difficult times.

1 Like

Clifford’s edition of the Monteverdi Vespers uses lines only on the passing note.

2 Likes

Sometimes less is certainly more.
I did something similar here —
— by using extension lines, and making them shorter in engraving mode. Full extension lines does not look right in this context.

What is better; to tweak the extension lines or to use shift+x? Or is there an even better way now with Dorico 4?

I’ll chip in another idea for a workaround.

A third way I found* that’s useful in this situation when the extension line needs to cover more than one note is to create a Playing Technique of a space with continuation of a solid line, select the notes, and apply it. The good news is that in different layouts the length of the line adapts to the note spacing. The (not too) bad news is that if you hide the figured bass in a layout then you have the extra work of selecting the notes that you’ve applied the PT to and hiding the PT in the Properties Panel.

*Thanks to Lillie_Harris for the idea, which can be used in a number of situations when a line is needed and the line tool is not helpful, like here.

1 Like

Yes, I would find this slightly easier to read with the dashes only on the passing tones, but either way is fine.

It would be good if there would be an option to specify the standard starting point of hold lines. So directly after the previous figure or at the start left hand sid of the next note/beat. These long hold lines can sometimes be very annoying and ugly…