File Browser adjustment request

1. When using the File Browser, I navigate to a particular folder.
  2. “all known file types” is currently selected
  3. I only want to see montages to narrow down the folder, so I select “audio montages”.

*** at this point, Wavelab changes the entire File Browser folder to a different folder… I"m guessing it’s the folder where I last opened a montage… I don’t want to look there though… I already navigated to the folder I want to work in. How can I stop Wavelab from changing the folder on me? The same thing happens if I select “audio files”… Wavelab changes the folder again. I don’t want it to do this… I already navigated to the folder I want to work in. Is there a way to stop this automatic folder changing from happening?

Thanks,
Todd

You can’t change this. This the default behavior, because it is assumed that different file types are kept in different locations.
However, with the following arrow, you can navigate back to the previous folder in just one click.
2018-01-16_07-40-41.png

Thanks PG… that back arrow will be very helpful.

To stay organized, I have a separate folder for each artist I’m working with… and then within that folder I keep the montages and audio files for that artist…

Maybe this behavior could be improved somehow… I’d rather not store all montages together (every single artist in one single folder). I find it frustrating when the file browser is constantly changing folders on me every time I choose a different file type. Windows Explorer does not work like this… I wish file browsing, renaming, copying all worked exactly like Windows Explorer.

Also,

1. When recording audio to “add to selected track” of a montage, I’ve noticed the montage location is not remembered… I always have to navigate back to the correct folder for recording.

2. Same thing for rendering…

Maybe if we could assign a “default folder” for each montage, we could just check a box to have it automatically use that folder when rendering or recording?

Thanks,
Todd Loomis

Sorry to post again here, but I was just using Wavelab to listen to some music for personal use… Switched the file types to WAV, and suddenly I’m in a different folder… have to navigate back to my music folder again.

I’d be happy just to have a preference I could uncheck for “automatically change folder to default” or something…

Thanks PG - sorry about my frustration with this one, but it just keeps coming up. Overall, I’m loving Wavelab, so I don’t mean to be negative - just posting things I think will help overall workflow.

Thanks,
Todd

Sorry to post again here, but I was just using Wavelab to listen to some music for personal use… Switched the file types to WAV, and suddenly I’m in a different folder… have to navigate back to my music folder again.

I don’t get this: if you were listening to some music, that means the file type was already set to wav, no?

I am with toader on this subject. I feel I am constantly struggling to stay aimed at my desired folders and file types. Its as if I am at the beach and caught in a rip tide. Every time I look to the shore I find I have been unexpectedly carried out to sea.

Now I admit I may not have spent enough time working out the nuances of this new and complex navigating method. But never in ignorance did I struggle with file browsing in WL6 or earlier. It just seems more steps and manual labor is required now. For example, if I right click on a track to import an audio file, I then have to, with great care of mouse movement, drag across the 3 successive pop-up menus before I can simply open the browser I wanted in the first place. Combersome for routine mastering work.

Maybe for some users this “expert” navigational method is welcome. However, it would be nice if there was a “simple” mode that could be engaged. The WL4/5/6 behavior worked nicely for my needs.

I navigated to my music folder, and realized that the file browser was set to view montages, not audio files… so I selected audio files, and suddenly I was in a completely different folder… That little “back” arrow you told me about earlier though has been a huge help…

I agree.

Wavelab 8.5:

right click > insert audio files > the file selector opens. 1 menu.

Wavelab 9:

right click > insert audio files > browse > open file selector > the file selector opens. 3 menus.

Something does seem odd. Maybe I don’t understand the new way of working but in the “good olde days” WL did not suddenly jump folders when you wanted to look at a different file type. FWIW

1. In 9.5.20 I have now changed it, so that the file browser path doesn’t change, when the file type changes (what you request).
    Actually, this will be a per-file-type option, and the alternate behaviour can still be used.
    eg. when I select “Batch processors”, I like to jump to the folder that was last used to open a batch processor, quitting the current folder. In 9.5.20, this won’t happen (what you request) unless you choose that option in the folder preferences.

if I right click on a track to import an audio file, I then have to, with great care of mouse movement, drag across the 3 successive pop-up menus before I can simply open the browser I wanted in the first place. Cumbersome for routine mastering work.

In 9.5.2.0, I have added the shortcut Ctrl(Cmd) + Shift + I to open the file browser directly.
But you could already add your shortcut today: type “Insert Audio Files” in the search box of the shortcut dialog, and you find the command you can assign a shortcut to.
2018-01-24_17-30-26.png

Thanks so much PG! Looking forward to 9.5.20.

Thank you PG, that shortcut tip works great. Gets me where I want to be without even having to right-click in the track, and It’s so much quicker.

Excellent. Thanks for the (upcoming) update. I’ve found the current behaviour very annoying (we all organise our files differently).

Cheers,
j,

Thank you PG! Using 9.5.20 and I see this has been done. Many thanks!

-Todd