Hello all. I am pretty sure only Steinberg can solve this, but I hope a post might be helpful for any unlucky others searching the forum in the future.
I am working on a relatively large file (an opera: 16 flows, around ~40 players) that has become very unfriendly in the last 36 hours.
Friday morning I reopened my saved file and tried to switch from the visible part to the Full Score. The program crashed. I could reopen the file and look at any other part—including a custom “Percussion Score” that contained the three percussionists—but switching to the Full Score caused the program to crash. I tried deleting the audio data from the Dorico file using the technique from this forum post but that didn’t help. I tried changing the paper size and staff size of the full score in Layout Options, but that didn’t help. (I think I tried all the obvious stuff too: rebooting the computer, etc.) The last command in the application log, every time:
Executing command: Window.SwitchToLayout?OpenScoreID=0&ScoreLayoutViewContainerID=0&LayoutID=0
Miraculously, the file came back to life at about 1am, and I continued working on it last night and for much of the day today. It was probably about 80% as stable as in the previous few weeks; more crashes than I expected, but more alarmingly, after crashing, Dorico now would occasionally crash while re-opening the file. The last command in the application log:
Creating render chains
This is the first thing after “Opening file: /file/path.dorico”, so it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with VST stuff.
Earlier today, when this happened I just stubbornly tried repeatedly and after a few tries, Dorico succeeded in opening the file. It just crashed 10 times in a row trying to open my file. And right as I was about to post this message, it succeeded on the 11th try in opening it! So I can keep working for the moment, but obviously I live in fear of the whole thing stopping again.
I can’t attach the file here because it’s too big and I’m not allowed to post it publicly, but if you are a forum superhero working on a weekend and want to check it out, I’m happy to share it confidentially. If it stops working for good, I’ll email it to Daniel on Monday for some professional help. I’m hoping somebody else on here has seen a similar situation and has some magic trick toward making things more stable. My most recent Dorico Diagnostics report is attached.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1010 KB)