file edited in RX not always saved

When I edit a file in the External editor function (I use RX) and save the file by Ctrl Alt S (overwrite the original) the file is not always saved, so that the file in Wavelab 10 must be saved. In that case WL dont place markers. This occurs not always but regularly.

Must say that this functionality is amazing.
PG and his team has done a great job.

Steven

I am not sure I understand the exact symptom. Therefore let’s me explain how the system works, from the WaveLab side:
WaveLab monitors a change in the file which is controlled by RX. If WaveLab detects a change (that is, the file was overwritten), then WaveLab imports a copy of this file and “paste” in in the audio editor (or in the montage clip). In which case WaveLab places edit indicators (audio editor), as a sign of the change.

Given this explanation, where do you think the problem comes from? WaveLab does not detect the file being overwritten? Or?..

Philippe

As I can see is that Wavelab did not detect the file being overwritten. In that case you have to manually save the file in WL

I see that in some cases WL the edit indicators has placed, but the file is not saved. You have to do that manually

In that case you have to manually save the file in WL

This is what I don’t understand in your report.
If the file was not imported inside WaveLab, how saving the “mother file” from WaveLab can help?

I shall try to explain:
I work in a montage. One file has to be edited, so I open it in the Audio editor. Then I select a part of this file to edit in the external editor and use RX.
In RX I edit the file and after that I “Overwrite the original file”. Then I close RX. In the most cases the file is saved and you can disable the file from the Audio editor, but sometimes I see that the file was not saved while there is a * in the name of the WAV file. So I have then to manual save the file.

i have seen this problem as well. not in every case, but intermittently.

OK, see attachment too

I work in a montage. One file has to be edited, so I open it in the Audio editor. Then I select a part of this file to edit in the external editor and use RX.
In RX I edit the file and after that I “Overwrite the original file”. Then I close RX. In the most cases the file is saved and you can disable the file from the Audio editor, but sometimes I see that the file was not saved while there is a * in the name of the WAV file. So I have then to manual save the file.

I see. This is a completely different issue that I originally understood. This is actually a known issue, that will be fixed in 10.0.10.
BTW, are you aware that you can select the audio in the clip, and RX-edit that selection? In that case, the original audio file is preserved. But maybe this is not what you want.

I see that when it is not saved and you manually has to do this, that the indicators are not stored when you reopen the file. They has gone away.

I have the same problem with the RX Suite. The function in WaveLab is for sure excellent, but with my audio files I have the same problems. I restore old LP recordings and use the RX suite mainly for restoration work, and sometimes I need the spectral repair tool in the RX suite. So it is fantastic to open the RX editior direct in RX. I try it and make some minor adjustments with the RX spectral repair tool, than I use the function “overrite the original file”, after this I close the RX editor and return to WL 10, but all minor errors are audible in WL, and I don’t see the * marker which is always visible before you save the file in WL. I worked in the past for many years with the “Renovator” Tool from Algorithmix. This was (at least for the Windows platform) intergrated in the WL software. Now I work on Mac and the Renovator tool is not available for the Mac platform.
The Renovator works in a similar way. It was possible to open this tool in WaveLab and make changes on your audiofile. After you confirm the changes in this tool you see the file name in WL (filename.wav*), and after saving it change in (filename.wav). I think the new function works in a similar way. Unfortunately it was not possible any of my current audiofiles to transfer from RX in WL 10. So I hope the problem will be solved, because it’s a very good function (if it works).
StevenW, please can you explain what do you mean with 'Manually save"? I see that the RX Suite create a new file “WaveLab … an than a number”. This file is saved in the Mac Library. Must I take this file and overrite the selection in WL 10? Otherwise I don’t have any idea how do will handle this issue.
But hopefully Phillipe will find a solution shortly.

as StevenW told it, there is a problem when you open the audio file from a montage clip. But if you open directly on the montage clip, or if you don’t use any montage, and edit an audio file, there is no problem that I know.

StevenW, please can you explain what do you mean with 'Manually save"?

Shall try
As I said: when you edit a montageclip and want to save it, you can Overwrite the original clip in RX and is it automatcally saved. This works not always, so you have to do that manually by saving the file in WL.