File names containing dots

(WaveLab 10.0.40 Build 127 on Windows)

I see a problem with the way WaveLab treats file names containing dots.

• Try to “Save as” with these file names:
  1. “C:\Music\Say… a sound file.flac”
  2. “C:\Music\Say, a sound file…flac”

It will work for the two cases, ellipsis won’t be an issue.

• Now try an export using these file names. File name 1 will work, but not file name 2.

And there is a BAD SIDE EFFECT when you use batch conversion. WaveLab will SILENTLY strip file names containing final dots / ellipsis, ending up with two different set of files.

An illegal character in file name is a thing, but final ellipsis are valid name components. For example, when you use Exact Audio Copy to extract your CD tracks giving names containing final ellipsis, these track names are totally reflected in the file names.

Microsoft says:

Do not end a file or directory name with a space or a period. Although the underlying file system may support such names, the Windows shell and user interface does not. However, it is acceptable to specify a period as the first character of a name. For example, “.temp”

I remember having problems when burning a CD with a file with a space at the end of the name.
It took me a while to figure it out but luckily I did. Now, I always double check the CD track names and CD Text not to have spaces at the end even for file exports.