File Permissions - Again!

I am getting so hacked off with this happening almost constantly when trying to upgrade one Steinberg product or another. I get error messages that I need to check file permissions, but am not given any sort of idea just what the permissions need to be! How do I fix this?!

This is a latest crop of errors:

‘Volumes/External 1/Steinberg/Content/Halion Sonic SE Artist/FCP_SMT_084_HSSE_S90_Presets.vstsound’ could not be opened.
Please check file permissions and retry.
‘Volumes/External 1/Steinberg/Content/World Percussions/FCP_SMT_131_HS_Ethno_Presets_01.vstsound’ could not be opened.
‘Volumes/External 1/Steinberg/Content/Halion Sonic SE Artist/FCP_SMT_101_HSSE_Artist_Instrument_Presets_02.vstsound’ could not be opened.
‘Volumes/External 1/Steinberg/Content/HALion Sonic SE Basic/FCP_SMT_078_HSSE_GM_Presets_01.vstsound’ could not be opened.
‘Volumes/External 1/Steinberg/Content/Padshop/FCP_SMT_778_MPE_Sounds_Padshop.vstsound’ could not be opened.
‘Volumes/External 1/Steinberg/Content/HALion Sonic SE Pro/FCP_SMT_091_HSSE_Pro_Synth_Presets_01.vstsound’ could not be opened.

*Volumes/External 1/Steinberg/Content/Halion Sonic SE Artist/FCP_SMT_084_HSSE_S90_Presets.vstsound’ could not be opened.
‘Volumes/External 1/Steinberg/Content/World Percussions/FCP_SMT_131_HS_Ethno_Presets_01.vstsound’ could not be opened.
‘Volumes/External 1/Steinberg/Content/Halion Sonic SE Artist/FCP_SMT_101_HSSE_Artist_Instrument_Presets_02.vstsound’ could not be opened.
‘Volumes/External 1/Steinberg/Content/HALion Sonic SE Basic/FCP_SMT_078_HSSE_GM_Presets_01.vstsound’ could not be opened.
‘Volumes/External 1/Steinberg/Content/Padshop/FCP_SMT_778_MPE_Sounds_Padshop.vstsound’ could not be opened.
‘Volumes/External 1/Steinberg/Content/HALion Sonic SE Pro/FCP_SMT_091_HSSE_Pro_Synth_Presets_01.vstsound’ could not be opened.

‘Volumes/External 1/Steinberg/Content/Halion Sonic SE Artist/FCP_SMT_084_HSSE_S90_Presets.vstsound’ could not be opened.
’ Volumes/External 1/Steinberg/Content/Padshop/FCP_SMT_778_MPE_Sounds_Padshop.vstsound’ could not be opened.
‘Volumes/External 1/Steinberg/Content/HALion Sonic SE Pro/FCP_SMT _091_HSSE_Pro_Synth_Presets_01.vstsound’ could not be opened.

Hi,

Are you on Mac or Windows?

If this is the message:

I would expect it to be enough to be able to read the file.

Hi Martin,

This is on an iMac M1

TBH, this is the same error with multiple files.
It looks like a MacOS permission conflict with external drives.

Indeed it is the same error on multiple files, and yet it only occurs when dealing with Steinberg updates.

What I need to know is how to fix it.