Files in trash after Dorico close

How to avoid to have systematically files in the windows trash after close Dorico ?
Thanks

There’s no way to avoid this: Dorico always moves backups that it rotates out of the Backup Projects folder and auto-saves that you choose not to recover into the Trash/Recycle Bin.

I had noticed a large number of files in the Windows recycle bin and was concerned because they had the names of my scores. After ensuring I had my latest work on the cloud and a removable drive, I finally had the nerve to empty the recycle bin.

If you are saying this is normal–discarded autosaves or something–I will stop worrying about it. It was just surprising to see 25-30 files when I had not thrown anything away.

Yes, that is indeed exactly what I’m saying.

1 Like

Yes, the number depends on how many backups you have set in preferences, and how often you save and how often auto-saves happen. Dorico pushes them off the back of the truck after set limits. I have not expressed that very well!

Do not be nervous!

Please add an option to stop this.

I just found several hundreds of megabytes of deleted backup files that I was not aware of.
Dorico is filling up my disk behind my back. Please stop this…

1 Like

I’m grateful for this extra backup protection. When I find I don’t need it, I empty my trash.

1 Like

So, maybe as much as a couple of Gigabytes, then…? :astonished:

You can set both Windows and Mac to automatically delete items in the trash after they’ve been there a certain time.

1 Like

How tp have Windows 11 delete unwanted files such as those in the Recycle Bin:

Huh? From the manual:

Dorico Pro stores backup versions of your projects each time you save them explicitly. By default, the previous five saves are stored as backups.

So, set the number of backups lower.

Plus, as mentioned in this topic, Dorico will roll off backups as new are created on a FIFO basis, so the backup folder does not fill up forever without limit.

The backup folder does not, but the trash bin still will…

I don’t want to automtically empty the trash bin for several reasons. I just would not expect any software to fill up my disk (be it with regular files or in the trash bin) at all. That’s just bad practice.

I’ve currently got 92 Dorico files in the trash, totalling 169 Mb. The earliest Autosave document was created on 6th August, and there’s files for every day since. So that’s 10 days of files.
Dorico would have to produce that many files every day for 20 years to fill a 128Gb disk, if I never emptied the trash.

Admittedly, I set the number of Backups to 1, so if you have the default 5 copies, it will take 4 years; and larger sound libraries and bigger scores may increase the size a bit.

Outside of the Trash, I have 1260 Dorico project files (including the backup copy), totalling 2.2Gb (since 2016). If I had another 4 backup copies, I’d still be under 10 Gb in total of Dorico files on my disk.

This is literally nothing to worry about, assuming you empty the trash once a year. :rofl:

1 Like

With all due respect, it’s the Trash, not an Archive. If one wants to use the Trash as an archive, one needs to allot sufficient storage or cull unwanted files individually.

1 Like

With all due respect, I don’t believe that this is Dorico’s decision.

I totally love that Dorico does create backup files and that I can decide how many it keeps and how ofen Dorico will create them. But I strongly believe that once this limit is reached, the trash bin is not where old backups should go.
(And I’m really happy no other application does it like that.)

I don’t think that this is a valid argument. If your car was leaking oil, I would think you would not like the technician to calculate for you that with the current rate of leakage, it would take 20 years until the garage is completly filled up :wink:

3 Likes

If he told me, that unless I performed the smallest act of maintenance once in a while, there would be a problem within 20 years : that’s a better assessment than most of the cars I’ve owned!

1 Like

With respect, this is all a bit ridiculous. I’d wager that the vast majority of Dorico users are very satisfied with this design behaviour. And it’s really not hard to manage. Come now. And wishing Dorico would change this - that’s remote or never, I’d venture.

Old files being sent to the trash is a system architecture thing… Not even necessarily a Dorico thing. If you delete any file from your file browser, it goes to the trash, it doesn’t actually disappear until the trashcan makes it disappear.

Modern operating systems can automatically clear out files after a set amount of time. You can also use other utilities like Hazel. You could set up a rule that whenever Hazel spots a Dorico file in the trash folder, it deletes it instantly while leaving the rest of your folder untouched.

I would also wager that if the behavior was changed, someone else would come along and say, “I needed the file that was one antecedent to the most recent version in my back ups folder, but it’s not in the trash anymore!”

1 Like

Amusingly my skin has been saved at least once by having to go back and revert to one file antecedent in the trash! True.

4 Likes

One of the best descriptions I have ever read on this forum!