Film Scored with Cubase hits the festivals!

So… I’ve been using Cubase to score several films lately and the last film I scored is starting to go bonkers good. It’s all about network security/hackers/privacy. http://www.code2600.com

I scored this film last Fall and it’s going to premier at CineQuest (i had never heard of it but it seems to be a top-tier festival). It’s also going to play at DefCon 20 and has been accepted into a few others, but was told to not give names till they announce.

Everything was created with Cubase and I also served as the films re-recording mixer/post-sound guy.
I’m putting out some of the sound track too!..
http://soundcloud.com/soundslikejoe/sets/code2600set/

Congratulations :slight_smile:
Cool that you got some big venues to show the movie, although people don’t usually go to Defcon for movies :stuck_out_tongue:

Very cool, what’s your sounds library for the orchestra?

I have the EWQL Gold with Mic Expansion and Symphobia 1. Honestly I’ve found lost favor with my libraries as of late. Especially the Gold package… it’s a great start but I’m thinking of replacing it with some modern libraries; LASS, CineBrass, or Hollywood. Haven’t decided yet.

Congrats, Joe! :sunglasses:

I’m not great on the Orch stuff, I do some and I am trying to learn…that said I have the Composer Pack from eastwest, which is nice, and a friend has the LASS and Hollywood and does some of the demo’s for Sounds online. He absolutely swears by it. I recently got the Vienna instruments Cube which sounds insanely great (so real) especially when used VI PRO5 within MIR. There are a few good libraries can’t wait to hear your choices

Excellent work, works very well within the frame.

I heard some bit degradation on some points, I also heard that in the Tron soundtrack. Is this because of conversion or did you actually use a bitcrusher because it sounds amazing.

If you do I want to know how you did it!

**Hi Sir Dancelot,

Regarding your filmscore postings on Soundcloud, is it possible to download these tracks from the site ?? i am new to Soundcloud and so not sure how/if this is possible ??

Ta dude,

Paul**

Yes, they are open for download, klick on the arrow!

If you have more questions PM me, I don’t want to ruin OP’s topic. :wink:

Greetz Dylan.

@Everyone… Much thanks.

@SirDanceLot… Not sure exactly which sound/track you’re talking about but I do use Camel Phat for some bit crushing on parts. It’s great for getting grit but that’s more obvious. In the mastering process I used Ozone 5 and it has a unique limiter and harmonic exciter that could have produced bit degradation too. Kind-of difficult to gauge what you’re referring to though.

I listened to the Code2600 clip, sounds great.

I have been trying to figure something out for a long while
now with no luck. How do you handle the issue of visual hits when using Cubase? I used Nuendo for years, but I have switched to Digital Performer because it has built in Streamers and Punches. I would like to use Cubase, because my daughter is an up and coming composer, only 15, she has been using Cubase in classes, Cubase has a much easier learning curve, and Cubase has many more productions features that I really like.

Is there a plugin or work around for Streamers, Punches and Flutters in Cubase?

Tniah

Those video effects were really designed for conductors on the scoring stage. I’ve seen DP’s feature to add these to the video but, again, I’m pretty sure that’s just for prepping the project for the conductor.

In Cubase I use marker tracks to see the hits or various events in the sequence. I use the markers to calculate the tempi against the sequence grid. So, visually I don’t need the punches. I just look at the marker track.

Where I taking it to the scoring stage, I’d probably have the punches added to the temp video.

I agree that they were originally designed for the stage, but I use them when composing in freewheeling mode or rubato passages. They really speed up my work.

Tniah

I agree that they were originally designed for the stage, but I use them when composing in freewheeling mode or rubato passages. They really speed up my work. Plus sometimes I will compose with a library, then bring a small
section into my studio to layer on top, or for the solos, etc.

Tniah

I agree that they were originally designed for the stage, but I use them when composing in freewheeling mode or rubato passages. They really speed up my work. Plus sometimes I will compose with a library, then bring a small
section into my studio to layer on top, or for the solos, etc.

A feature that I would really like to see, DP or Cubase, is the capability to add a visual click, with streamers and punches, to not only the video, but also to a DAW screen. Even when you are just recording a rock band, which I am also in, any tempo variations are easier to follow visually where you can see the downbeat. There was a third party clock system years ago that showed this up on the wall, but I don’t know what happened to it.

Thanks for your help, and keep up the good work. I am a movie nut and will be sure to watch/listen to your contributions.

Tniah

Totally agree… that feature in DP is great. I guess I’ve just learned to live without it.

Look for the film… It’s making rounds. We just played Atlanta Film Fest, and Cinequest in SanJose before that. Next up is Newport Beach, Athens Oh, and Vegas for DEF CON 20. There might be a few more fests before it does distribution. Afterward, I’m hoping it hits NetFlix!

SoundsLikeJoe,

Do you have a date on Newport Beach? That is right by me, and I would love to see it.

If you ever do see a plugin or 3rd party software or piece of kit that does what I mentioned
please post it on this forum and I will probably see it.

Look forward to seeing the film and hearing your complete score.

Tniah

Two screenings at Newport Beach. April 29 and May 2, both at 2:00.
http://newportbeach.bside.com/2012/films/code2600_jeremyzerechak_newportbeach2012