Filter oddity

Select all notes on a single voice up-stem only stave.

Paste into down-stem voice.

This gives up and down stem unisons for all notes.

Filter: Select Only up-stem voices: push delete.

I’m left with only up-stem voices.

Is this a bug?

Stem directions in multi-voice contexts

At this point you have to (re-)select all notes so that your new voice will be selected too.

Thomas

"At this point you have to (re-)select all notes so that your new voice will be selected too. "

Ah… this explains why it’s not deleting the up-stem voices.

But… why is it deleting the down-stem voices, when I’ve filtered?

Just out of curiosity… The stems are up or down depending on where they are in the staff, and which voices are present at the same time. If you write, say, a series of C5 in a G Clef in an upstem voice (alone), chances are that they will be drawn downstem. And we all like that !

“Ah… this explains why it’s not deleting the up-stem voices.”

No, it deletes the up-stem voices and the remaining voice is free to stem up or down as MarcLarcher points out. Try it with offsetting the down-stem voice by an interval (i.e. opt-down arrow) after you paste to see what is happening. I think if you double-click the remaining note(s) after your filter/deletion, the caret will show this voice as down-stem.

Before deleting I have unison notes with up and down stems.

“I think if you double-click the remaining note(s) after your filter/deletion, the caret will show this voice as down-stem.”

This is exactly the thing… they don’t.

If you double-click a note, does the caret show a little quarter note with a stem down, or a stem up? (See attached file “stem-down”) This will tell you what voice it is in. But the stem of the actual written note will automatically flip up if it’s a low note without an additional voice as the manual states:
“When there are only notes in one voice for at least a whole bar, Dorico automatically changes the directions of stems so they point in their normal direction for their pitch.” (see attachment “stemdown voice as stem-up”)
stemdown voice as a stem-up.png
stem-down.png

Apart from reselection, exactly what I wrote initially is exactly what is happening.

The caret shows up-stem.

Is your filter menu set to 'Deselect only"?

No, as I wrote above, ‘Select only: up-stem voices’.

If I ‘Deselect only: down-stem voices’ it works as expected.

Steve, it has to work… or there is something wrong with your copy of Dorico! Just trying to help a fellow Doricoan… :slight_smile: Did you follow my advice to alter the pasted down-stem notes by an interval or 2, and if so, does it work? (It’s not necessary to alter it, but will clearly show that the eventual deleted material is the up-stem voice and the remaining is the down-stem voice).

[EDITED] Oops, sorry Steve, I see what I wrote in the next paragraph doesn’t apply because you did a re-selection. I keeping the content in because it may help another soul out there…

Did you follow advice by Thomas? If you don’t click in the measure before doing your Filter, the filter will not find any up-stem voice because only the newly created down-stem voice will be acted on by the filter. This is because Dorico only highlights the most recent action (which is helpful because you can do a further action on it - i.e. octave down, up, add a flat, etc). In this case the most recent action is the pasted in down-stem notes and not the up-stem notes. You will need to click in the measure or do a marquee selection to ensure all voices are selected - then the Filter can work properly.

Also, if your goal is the switch the up-stem voice to a down-stem voice, you can go to Edit-Voices-Change Voice-New down-stem Voice and avoid the whole copy and paste routine. But either method works for me.

Let us know! :slight_smile:

I’ve got plenty of ways round it, but it just seemed odd.
I’ve set up a new file and can’t repeat the problem in the new file.