Filter type in channel strip

Hi, so I wondered what types the low pass I & II and high pass I & II in the channel strip euqalizer are.

So low/high pass I are the ones sensitive to band gain, while low/high pass II don’t react to band gain changes and seem to be just a bit lower than low/high pass I with lowest gain, probably something about -30dB.

While compared to the low/high pass of the pre section – when no inserts or other thing changing anything in between – the low/high pass I of eq section with band gain all up to +24dB seems to be the same as low/high pass 12 dB/Oct in pre.
At least the curves match in this case and it sounds the same to me.

Is there any place in the documentation where I can confirm this, or read anything more about it than “you can select an EQ type for the band. Bands 1 and 4 can act as parametric, shelving, or high/low-cut filters. EQ bands 2 and 3 are always parametric filters.”

cheers

1 Like

No idea about where you can read info, but the other thing to note is that playing with the Q setting on HPF/LPF II (and the shelf equivalents) changes the shape of the curve. You can add resonant bumps and whatnot. I find them useful.

1 Like

HPF/LPF I are regular high and low pass filters with a roll off of around 12dB/octave. With this type, adjusting the gain control produces subtle variations in the roll off curve (between around 12dB/octave with gain at maximum and around 8dB per octave with gain at minimum).
HPF/LPF II are resonant high and low pass filters with a roll off of around 12dB/octave. With this type the Q factor determines the amount of resonance for the filter.

Yeah, that’s right.

2 Likes

This video might be able to answer some of your questions. It doesn’t cover the filter from the Pre section, though.
Regarding the thumbnail of the video - nothing is wrong with the stock EQ of Cubase. The author asks this question in a rhetorical way.

1 Like

Thanks, it’s good to have some confirmation.

I’ll watch the video, thank you. Searching for Cubase Low/High Pass didn’t really give what I sought for, this will help, thanks again.