Final mix has far too narrow dynamic range.

Why do you need headroom for mastering?

• If you’re mastering in analog domain, just back off the gain knob of your first box.
  • If you’re mastering in digital domain, just move your virtual fader/gain knob down.
    And there you go … you have headroom.

Split

This explanation should make you understand. please dont bend it, dont please continue. the following link explains in detail EXACTLY what I was explaining in my first post. to the letter!.

Split I just fail to see how you do not/will not understand the point I made in the first place, in the first post???
Maybe the engineer in you, has somehow misinterpreted my advice, but by your first reply, it totally railroaded this post. shame really. No matter how it goes, many articles,thesis,& papers give the same advice, I picked this up from Bob Katz about 14 yrs ago.

Level is Level…= Tosh.

Let us not continue this frivolity. Go here then you will understand what I meant. No More …and certainly no less. whatever I pointed out, is plain to see in the below article (complete with pics) it makes it easy NOT to misinterpret.

http://musicmasteringonline.com/members/content/view/242/32/

Jarno, while quoting me regarding headroom. This WAS my point. If you want headroom. you reduce the master Bus fader. To create Headroom for the final mastering stage. its explained in the article.

The reason we need headroom?..is In fact its explained on every Mastering House’s website…on every article I have ever read concerning mastering.

we both agree that there should be some margin in the files level for further tinkering.

What I disagree with was the method of mixing to a reduced masterbus level from the start.

Simple.

It may not be to your agreeance. you have every right to disagree. but this technique of mixing to a reduced Master Bus, is certainly valid, I already explained I have mixed both ways…I found ,and so did Bob KAtz, and MANY other far more revered engineers than me…find that the “Balance” is better attained with the final file of a reduced Master Bus Mix…FAR more suited to mastering processes.

Edited and peace be with you all :sunglasses:

Bob Katz does not recommended mixing to a reduced master bus level, he recommends mixing to a calibrated monitoring environment and a calibrated metering system.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=15&ved=0CJoBEBYwDg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aes.org%2Ftechnical%2FdocumentDownloads.cfm%3FdocID%3D65&ei=7Q8PUMrZIqPO0QWyyYDoBA&usg=AFQjCNFNPyo_UxprmuTA7sGVa8vtN3th6Q&sig2=e_CxGjijW4wdgy6gJlkMJg

Please quote where he states that the master bus should be taken off unity.

Sorry, but I have to disagree! If mastering engineer needs headrom, he/she can create it him/herself following my advice:

• If you’re mastering in analog domain, just back off the gain knob of your first box.
  • If you’re mastering in digital domain, just move your virtual fader/gain knob down.

If mastering engineer doesn’t have equipment/software to handle this, he/she should find a job in another industry.

Dear Discoworx and Split,
I am not capable of taking sides here! Though I suspect one of you an agitator!

Er, so, thankful though I am for your genuine, erudite and heartfelt opinions, it is now time for you two to take your love-making to a new thread. Go get sexy together elsewhere please. :slight_smile:

Seriously though, your contributions have been helpful and illuminating to me and others, but need their own special thread now.

That said, I am grateful for your responses and have learnt from them.

Love and sloppy kisses

Parlanchin

Er, so, thankful though I am for your genuine, erudite and heartfelt opinions, it is now time for you two to take your love-making to a new thread. Go get sexy together elsewhere please.

Seriously though, your contributions have been helpful and illuminating to me and others, but need their own special thread now.

Love and sloppy kisses

Parlanchin

Er, so, thankful though I am for your genuine, erudite and heartfelt opinions, it is now time for you two to take your love-making to a new thread. Go get sexy together elsewhere please.

Love and sloppy kisses

Parlanchin

If you download this thing here split and read the manual which accompanies it, you will see how to use it correctly, you will see where discoworx is coming from and is correct.granted it is only a method practised by bob katz and is not written in the holy bible , and by the way he wasnt talking about calibrating his system, although that is one of katzs recommendations for all the cloth ears owt there.K-Meter by mzuther - Analyser / Monitor Plugin VST VST3 LV2

The manual for the K-metering “System” points to the same document that I linked to.
At no point does it recommended mixing into the masterbus with the fader off unity
It recommends calibrating your monitors
It recommends using the K-weighted metering
Discoworx and I do not have a problem with each other
To everyones relef, this is the last I have to say on the subject.

Have to say I agree with Split on this one.

As for the original post one suggestion would be to as matter of course turn down the VIs in a project before you even start arranging. In my experience they are normally at way too high a volume level when first loaded.

I use the master fader at unity on mixdown but I might have it set lower for my judgement and my ears but whatever I set it at (-6 to -10 then the first balancing stage instruments, usually the bass drum (and around it the kit and bass guitar) in my case will need to be at - 6 to -10 as well. I’ll check it at unity on the way through the mix but it isn’t essential until the end export.
The minus 6 to 10 is to allow for headroom after FX are added. It can go as low as -14 depending.
A simple method. But the OP stated that he understands that a forum is not a mixing school. But if he is going to mixing school eventually I’d suggest that copying some of the advice and links given here may be well handy in the future.

Thanks to EVERYONE for their contributions. There have been some very useful discussions and links in this thread. I welcome the advice on mixing. Backing off the channel faders, some extra automation, and a bit of gating on the VST drums has improved my mix. But I’m not finished fiddling yet! Also, being especially careful about the interaction of the main bus level and maximizers seems to be crucial (yes I know I should mixdown then master but I’m learning all the time and “playing is learning” as they say at primary school). I’ll do it properly when I’ve finished experimenting!

Thanks again for all your fine contributions. :slight_smile:

Parlanchin

Jalcide, thank you for a very helpful post and the links. A similar discussion was taking place in another thread and I found my way back here. Excellent discussion overall.

Of all the great advance from some here, one thing that has made a really HUGE difference for me has been calibrating my monitors to a known dBSPL.

Then, when lining up the system for K-20 (or anything else) with Pink Noise and with test tones, I know what I’m hearing because I can relate the sound being monitored to – the Equal Loudness Contours, the specs of my system, the timbers and volumes of the sounds I’m dealing with, and the room I’m working in. Really working on this has made a substantial difference in how I’m hearing things. Not just music, but sound itself.

This article outlines a basic seven step process for calibrating the monitors in your listening space.
Establishing Project Studio Reference Monitoring Levels – http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/monitor-wizard

Here’s an image of a K-20 Line Up, at 83 dBSPL, my selected level. Tone Generator sending signal to Sub-Master and then to Stereo Out.

Other possible useful references: Table chart sound pressure levels SPL level test normal voice sound levels pressure sound intensity ratio decibel comparison chart conversion of sound pressure to sound intensity noise sound units decibel level comparison of common sounds calculation compression rarefaction loudness decibel dB scale ratio factor unit examples - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin

Anyway, I see a lot of posts about problems with “dynamic range” and “loudness” and wonder how many of those problems are the result of users simply not knowing where the monitoring levels actually are (SPL) and how that relates to the input and output signals, the line up, Cubase or any other system is dealing with.

Again, thanks for the good posts and references in this thread. I finally feel like I’m starting to hear in a much better way.

Good luck.