Finally 3rd party drag n drop in C7!

I’d like to think it is a simple thing too but alas it isn’t. Read up about “INFO chunk” in the RIFF file specification and you will see why.

EM you mean Broadcast WAV meta Data Specification that has been around for over a decade! to which Mediabay is BUILT upon.

IMHO it STILL a outright farce that you cannot D&D from the desktop OR internally to Kontakt. & the only logical reasoning here is a force upon sales of Halion. this feature LACK has been covered & recovered here in the forums for almost 5 yrs!.. pfft!. We had to use AGAIN, a third party application to use D*D in Cubase… (same as Jbridge) These undeniable PREREQUISITES in ANY DAW is a severe boot in the nuts again from Steinberg regarding much need MAIN feature requirements.

I use Kontakt player and some of libraries really do sound great (even the factory set) but the notion that people would purchase a sound library based on how the generator or playback system works doesn’t really add up in my mind.

To me it’s kind of like saying a particular guitar is too heavy or cumbersome but I love the sound it makes so I think I’ll just go the Gibson for a recording because I cannot be bothered lugging it into the studio.

Probably a poor analogy but I get the point for one shot samples or building up sound sets, particularly when Mediabay is such a great organizational tool.

Actually I don’t see why a standardised INFO chunk makes it harder to drag and drop files between programs that all can handle and correctly read the informations stored in that standardised INFO chunk?

Guess you don’t work with homebrew samples a lot.
I can post a BIG list of differences why I rather use Kontakt 5 over Halion 4.
I can even post a BIGGER list why I rather use Battery over Groove Agent One.
But that’s irrelevant and subjective.

It’s not about sound, it’s about personal functionality, what you are used to and what you want to achieve.

Agreed Niles…

Kontakt (Im on 4 & STILL well happy) & Battery far out perform their Steiny brethren.but that aside, I USE mediabay constantly, Ive been one of the main protagonists & supprters against most of the neighsayers here…it IS a fantastic tool for managing samples… BUT …THIS IS A BIG BUT…

What use is it when you cannot drag files from Media bay to the INDUSTRY standard & most widespread Sampler in modern production studios today ???

LOL Discoworx you can drag n drop directly from Mediabay to Battery and Kontakt now! :smiley:

So nobody on this forum uses any non Native Instruments sampler, drum machine, or anything else that supports external drag n drop? It would really be great if someone could just check real quick to make sure 3rd party DnD isn’t just a NI thing…

LOL Discoworx you can drag n drop directly from Mediabay to Battery and Kontakt now! > :smiley: >

How if i drag get the symbol that its possible but nothing adds in Battery?
What do i wrong?

Greetz Bassbase

Do you have Battery set to “Always On Top”?

The funny thing is that Steinberg may well have boosted NI’s profits, I remember trying Halion 4 thinking ‘this is great’ then trying to do some wave editing within it, and thinking ‘this is nowhere near what a sampler is all about’

To me ‘Sampling’ was never about ready made libraries and trying to emulate instruments, it was about making your own sounds and instruments from anywhere and anything you could hear. getting into editing loops and waveforms, being creative.

GA one however, I Love it, I’d love some more features adding to it, think the ability to chop up a loop by hitpoints in Cubase then drop it to GA one is a great feature, and I make a lot of my own drum kits that way. :wink:

OK f*ck it I’m just gonna download the demo of FXpansion’s Geist just to make sure DnD is in fact working on non-NI plugins. :slight_smile:

did it work ??

If this is true, there might be a reason for me to upgrade. Why the hell is this so un-mentioned by Steinberg? So many users were craving for d&d to 3rd party instruments. But there should be d&d from arrange window (or pool) as well. But still, what a feature! :slight_smile:

No I couldn’t get it to work. I’m not sure if I was doing it right though. I couldn’t find where to drag n drop the samples from an external source in the manual, and the places on Geist I tried to DnD to didn’t work.

Actually yes! Its so simple I can’t believe I didn’t think about it before. Just type in the name of the audio you bounced down or recorded in Mediabay’s search! This is a great workaround for dragging n dropping audio from the project page and pool.

cheers mate, will try it out

GOOD NEWS !!

can confirm ‘Drag ‘n’ Drop’ from Mediabay in Native Instrument Battery (regardless of ‘always on top’ mode)

little bit of a pain having to search in the mediabay, but drops into Battery with no problems at all.

p.s. tried to apply a offline process to the audio file… it creates a copy in the audio folder, so there is some scope for creative trickery too. And easy to find if you keep the name of the audio file in the MediaBay search :wink:

sorted.

:smiley:

this is really big news and i agree SB should have included this little sweet news in the features. I used to work with XML translator to do the same… which mysteriously dissapeared from the net about a few months ago when i wanted to renistall it on my new setup. ! this is great news .A big NI user and also hoping that drag and drop will work with Image line’s slicex ! :slight_smile: gonna try this tomorrow… big one SB !!

Won’t happen as the support is most likely ad-hoc but welcome all the same.

I think that’s the case too.
It was already possible to drag and drop (mapped) events or parts (not the XML data) from the project window and pool to Kontakt/Battery/Machine with Halion 4 as a bridge, for quite some time.
Also drag and drop files directly from the Halion browser to the NI VSTI’s was possible already.

I’ve officially retired my VST-XML translator. :smiley: