Finding a decent audio driver?

Hi everyone,

I ve recently switched from Acoustica Mixcraft 5 to Cubase 6.5 and I enjoy a lot of it so far. Unfortunately, I have been having some problems with all of the ASIO drivers.

In Mixcraft, I used ASIO4ALL for a while, but there wasn t a good sample setting that could allow decent latency while avoiding clicking/glitching. I ended up using WaveRT, which had absolutely no noticeable latency.

In Cubase, I have tried all three drivers, Generic Low-Latency, ASIO4ALL, and DirectX, but all of them seem to have latency issues. I have looked around on forums and such but found no solutions except to buy a new sound card.

Is there anything I can do to get a driver that is good quality and does not glitch, pop, or have bad latency?

Also, what would a new soundcard do? Would it decrease the latency, or fix the crackling or something?

Thanks in advance,
Hfish

P.S. I’m using the windows version of Cubase

Welcome to the forum.

To get intelligent help, you need give your system specs.

There is no reason why ASIO4All shouldn’t work fine in Cubase.

It is possible that Cubase is putting a greater load on your system than Mixcraft did. If that’s the case, it’s probably not about your audio driver, but about your computer. That could be why you are now getting the cracks and pops of what sounds like a buffer under run.

If you are mixing, just increase the buffer size in ASIO4All. At some point it will introduce noticeable latency, but if you are only mixing, that shouldn’t matter too much.

If you are recording and you need low latency, try to only record one VSTi at a time with minimal or no VST effects and then Freeze the track, go on to the next part, etc.

Como

Hello. Best thing you can do is go out and buy yourself an ASIO compliant soundcard, and use the driver for that card, instead of worrying about a driver that was’t written for the onboard soundcard you currently have.

Yes to both.

Cheers.

Thanks Jeff. In that case, I’ll go get myself a soundcard. :smiley:

Can you give me a popular one that a lot of producers use?

I’m not Jeff … but here’s some great advice: read this to get an understanding of your choices Google.

Sound cards/ audio interfaces go from $50.00 to $1,000.00 plus … depending on quality of converters, number of inputs and out puts and a host of other features you can learn about on this link.

Good luck.

Como

Thanks!

Welcome!