Finding VSTI output on the mixer when selecting channel

When I select a channel in the main window it highlights the channel in my mix console. This works fine for wave channels. but when I select a VST instrument channel it only selects the midi in but not the actual audio out of the VST instrument. So I end up searching for it by eye which is usually a pain and can I sometimes forget even why I was looking for it when I have a lot of channels!

How do you make it so it selects the audio out of the VSTI when you select the VSTI channel in the main window?

I’m using Cubase 10.

Hi,

Do you use multi-outs of the Virtual Instrument?

If no, in the MixConsole, you can see the output Channel (not the MIDI In). Instrument track (without the mutli-out) is a MIDI Track In, Audio Return Out.

If you are using multi-outs, then it’s more complicated. The Audio Returns of the Instruments are an Automation tracks, in fact. Moreover Cubase doesn’t know, which MIDI Track is routed to which Audio Return (because this is an internal plug-in routing). So you cannot select the MIDI Track in the Project window and expect to select the Audio Return in the MixConsole in this case.

So I have a similar issue that has become bigger as my template has grown.

First some background on my set up.
I use VEPro and I route midi channels to it through the VEPro plugin and map to various VSTi plugins in VEPro. I typically set up the plug in as single set of instruments in VEPro.
For example, I have an Instance for Spitfire Ensemble Strings and then a group of channels which each contain a group of Kontakt plug ins with the full Albion string libraries loaded (and purged).
I map to these patches using an expression map of articulations in cubase that sends the midi data to the correct channel and then keyswitch.
This is then routed via the VEPro Mixer back to a return in Cubase that is named as Albion strings.

The difficulty I have is with workflow and mixing. I write in midi track or score editor and moving arond the midi tracks is fine, but then say I want to lower a cello in the mix a bit, if I jump over to the mixer, the track selected is the midi track as that’s where I’m working, but I need to go hunting through the VSTi Returns tracks to find the corrresponding return audio from VEPro to reduce the levels.
I just wish there was a way that you could link through to the return audio track and you could mix directly. Much like the instrument tracks (which won’t work for me in my current VEPro multi-articulation set up)

Did you ever find a solution for this? (and your other question about being able to use a remote to control the VSTi audio fader associated with a midi track? I am using a similar setup (with VEPro) like you and find the scrolling within the mixer window to be a huge drag as well. I’m in Cubase 11 and have been searching for a solution to this issue to no avail.
Thx