Fine tuning

Hello all, it’s been a long time since I posted on here, and this may be a dumb question, but…

In an old version of Cubasis that I used to use years ago, you could cut a section from an audio track and manually alter its tuning. This was especially useful if you had one word or syllable that was sung slightly out of tune. If I remember rightly it was part of the audio processing options.

I’m now using Elements 7 on an iMac, which is fantastic, but is there a way of doing the same thing to a tiny bit of an audio file without resorting to the dreaded auto tune? I ought to read the manual properly, but I’m hoping someone will take pity on me!

I’d appreciate a simple ‘how to’ guide if possible, although I know that’s being more than a bit cheeky!

Thanks all

Mark :smiley:

I’ll take pity on you, you pathetic, cheeky wretch. :wink:

Slice up the audio event. Open the Info Line (command-i) and adjust the Fine-Tune value for each selected event.

What you need VariAudio, it can do exactly what you want on specific phrases.
Unfortunately, it’s not available in Elements, only in the full version of Cubase.
Might be an incentive to get the full version :slight_smile:

That said, steve’s solution sounds like a plan, if you want it manual.
You could use Steinberg’s “PitchCorrect” plugin, and only enable it on that phrase (either with audio process or automating bypass).

Before vari-audio (and Melodyne) I used to use the info line to retune vocals. Worked absolutely fine, but of course it was really slow to use! I’d put an autotune insert on the track as well but with slow response time. This then did a more precise job than I could be bothered to do using the info line, so it speeded up the process. As a final step, I’d export the track so I had it rendered with the autotune and if any bits exhibited odd autotune artefacts (like stepped glissandi when it should be smooth) then I just comped a bit of the raw tracks back in. In fact I still do this sort of comping thing today but using vari-audio instead of the info line!

Mike.

I’m worried that my humor was too harsh in my earlier post, as the OP has not come back. I was completely joking, trying to riff off his post, but maybe not his cup of tea. :blush:

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I’ve been away for a few days so I’ve not had chance to check in since I posted the question. Thanks for your help, I think Steve’s answer is the way I used to do it. I’ll give it a go. And no, I wasn’t offended in the slightest Steve! Thanks all, and Merry Christmas! :slight_smile:

Phew!

LOL :laughing: