Fingering at the end of a tie

When entering fingerings using the popover the note at the end of a tie is skipped. To have a different finger there than on the starting of the tie, the usual way is to use a substitution fingering such as 3-2 on the first note. Sometimes it is not possible to switch fingers immediately because they are still needed during the tie. In these cases it would be better if the new fingering were at the end of the tie. When deleting the tie in order to set the fingering on the end note, the fingering is deleted as soon as the tie is set again. Of course it can be cheated if the fingering is set on a different note and then dragged over to the correct one. Is there a better way to have the fingering at the end of a tie?

If it’s a substitution fingering, you can change the “resolution” position so it’s at the end of the tie chain?

Fingerings get deleted when you tie notes because tied notes are a single entity, and therefore its settings come from the first note in the chain.

When you enter a substitution fingering, such as 3-2, a round edit handle will appear at the end of the fingering. I don’t think it is possible to move it to the right using keyboard shortcuts, but it is definitely possible to drag it using the mouse. When you do this, the dash in between the two numbers becomes a line, as in the pictures below.

Fing1

Fing2

Edit: Ninja’d by Lillie!

2 Likes

Thank you Lillie, that’s the first time I get to see this menu

Snap2

It’s another way to accomplish what stevenjones01 is suggesting by dragging the handle using the mouse. If there was an option to hide the line between the numbers, it would be exactly what I was after: just two numbers at the start and at the end of the tie, or maybe even one number at the end of the tie - though it’s fairly easy to fake it.

Yes, both of those methods are documented on that page. Take a look in Engraving Options > Fingering, I can’t remember but there may be an option for hiding/showing lines between fingerings and substitutions.

If you really only want one fingering at the end of the tie chain, you could also try putting the notes within the tie in different voices then tie-ing them together, that might preserve fingering on the end note. You would probably also have to remove rests around them.

1 Like

What i find in the options is the possibility to adjust the thickness of the line:

When i enter a value like 1/1000 spaces, the line disappears. However, since the engraving settings are global, this would be the case everywhere.

I think in practice i’d rather fake the number by dragging it from another note. Not correct, not elegant, but i like the anarchic feeling that goes with it :wink:

As an alternative, you could create a paragraph style that mimics the fingering font style, and input a text item at the position of the final note in the tie chain.

1 Like