Fingering: Left Hand Above & Right Hand Below the Staff. Is it possible?

So I set Stopping finger position to Outside staff and Plucked fingering Vertical position to Below staff as on pictute. But I can’t see left fingering now. Is it a bug or I missed something?
There are seweral other combinations of this two settings, which leaves fingering of only one hand.
Thanks for any help!

I can get this - see image - but if I set the “Outside Staff” the left hand fingering disappears. Not sure why this happens. It’s drastic - and perhaps there is an easier way - but you could write exactly the same passage in another voice, finger that, then move the pitches so they superimpose in your original. I suspect that is too much work. Does the attached not give you what you want? Or is the issue that you want the left hand fingering to mirror the right, i.e., one above, one below?
Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 2.07.30 PM

rpearl, thanks for the reply!

Exactly. I want to know too, is it a bug or a feature.

It works, but yes, it’s too much work.

That one. One above, one below.
So, It’s possible, but only in engrave mode manually.

One more possibility - a bit of work at first…

Input the passage, add the fingering for one hand; use another voice, add the other hand, then move the pitches so they line up. Move one fingering to the place you want it. You can copy/paste any part of this, and the properties and positions will remain. If it’s a set of exercises - that appears to be what you posted, but that’s just a guess - then copying, pasting, transposing will all work, and the fingerings will remain in place. Not ideal, but you only have to invent the wheel once.

But yes, it is odd that the setting makes the fingering disappear.

There is 16 combinations of Stopping finger position and Vertical position(Plucked Fingering), as shown on the picture.
The problem is that only half of them works as I think it should. If you enter fingering for both hands, then only in half cases you will see L and R fingering.
Is it a bug or a feature?
Thanks for any reply!

I’ve moved your duplicate thread to this one, Sergei, since in general we discourage reposting the same issue in multiple threads. I’ve not had a chance to look into this in detail yet, but I will try to do so soon.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!
There is another strange behaviour with fingering.
Engraving Options–Fingering–Design–Advanced–Fingerings inside the staff.
After uncheck “Allow left-hand fingerings inside the staff for fretted instruments” I can’t enter fingering for right hand.
Up and Down arrow keys don’t work.

If you want to show both right- and left-hand fingering for a fretted instrument at the same time, you should keep Allow left-hand fingerings inside the staff for fretted instruments switched on. This option is really only provided for the sake of backwards compatibility for projects started in versions of Dorico prior to the introduction of left-hand fingering for fretted instruments (around version 2.2, if I remember rightly).

1 Like

Ok, now it’s clear.
What about Stopping finger position and Vertical position(Plucked Fingering) combinations. Is there a chance that it will be repeared?

I haven’t had a chance to look into that and see what’s really going on there, so I can’t say, but I will look into it when time allows.

1 Like

Ок, thanks!