Fingering problem

I realise that Dorico’s fingering function is intelligent, but how would one place a 4,1 fingering over the first note in the RH? The fact that I want the top ‘e’ in the bottom staff to be played by the RH is irrelevant to Dorico. Putting the e-f# into a downstem voice in the top staff and then moving it down to the bottom staff isn’t an option, as I don’t want the thirds in the bottom staff to be notated polyphonically and besides, the fingering will appear on the lower staff anyway. Putting all the notes in the top staff and moving the bottom thirds down to the lower staff won’t work for the same reason. Is there any way of doing this other than the workaround of entering the fingerings as text and having to futz around in Engrave mode to make sure everything’s lined up properly? I guess it could be done as a playing technique, but there are many situations like this, and having to create PTs for each one is a daunting task.

Fingering problem.png

P.S. Another problem: I’d like to enter a finger substitution over two tied notes but I’d like the first fingering to appear above the first note and the second to appear over the tied note. This is a good way of showing when I’d suggest the substitution occur (it’s a pedagogic project). Dorico doesn’t want to seem to want to do this. I even tried untying the notes and entering the fingerings separately, but as soon as I tied the notes, the second fingering disappeared.

Regarding your second question, this should help in determining where substitution fingerings appear

Thanks, Lillie. For the first question, I’ve made a fingering text style with the right font and size, and I’ll just have to nudge things.

I have another question. Perhaps it has to do with intelligent features which don’t yet ‘understand’ all possible permutations. I placed a fingering over a trill and I’m trying to express an extra iteration as being optional by using parentheses. If I type 232(32) into the fingering popover, Dorico changes this into 232(3)2. Why? If I type in 232[32], Dorico changes this into 232[3][2]. Why?? Is there a way of doing this, other than resorting to a workaround?

As documented here, when you enter fingerings in parentheses into the Shift+F popover, Dorico interprets them as alternative fingerings, i.e. the number in parentheses is considered an alternative to the preceding one. You can’t write this kind of iteration using the Shift+F popover.