Fingering Question

For some reason, I cannot get the R/L hand fingering options to appear - I can only get what it attached. It seems it is instrument dependent - I have tried two scores, and both instruments are guitars (one electric, the other classical). I feel I am missing something basic, but I have tried invoking the Fingering three ways - Shift-F, from the Write Menu, and from the sidebar on the right hand side of the screen. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 2.56.54 PM.png

Follow up - it works on new scores started in 3; it is only in earlier scores opened in 3 that it does not work.

I discovered that you have to uncheck an option in an advanced section of engraving options. I don’t recall exactly, but it’s about allowing fingerings to appear inside the staff.
Wasn’t clear to me initially that this switch disabled the entire L/R functionality.

Good luck,
Benji

This is probably in the release notes somewhere.

I think this is something to do with the fact that Dorico 2 had fingering for other instruments, but it didn’t work properly for guitar, and the properties are set to make it work for everything except guitar.

When you read a Dorico 2 file into Dorico 3, there is no way to know whether or not you really want those property settings, so they get preserved just in case.

@Benji and Rob - thanks, that did it! It may be in the release notes, but it is not in the Version History. Seems to me that something like this might be a little more front-of-the-room, given this is one of the big items they are touting in V3. And tout, they should.

Much appreciated, guys!

Do you mean like on page 30 of the Dorico 3 Version History, where it says:

Projects created in earlier versions. > To avoid changing the appearance of fingering in projects created in earlier versions, if an existing project contains a guitar instrument or has fingerings, the new features for showing left-hand fingering within the staff and right-hand fingering outside the staff will not be enabled by default. If you find that left-hand fingering will only appear outside the staff and you cannot create right-hand fingering at all, go to the > Fingering > page of Engraving Options, and in the > Advanced Options > subsection of the > Design > section, activate > Allow left-hand fingerings inside the staff for fretted instruments> . Beware that this will change the position of any existing fingerings on guitar or other fretted instruments in your project.

Daniel - indeed, there it is. I would say though, it appears after the explanation of how that behavior works, and with a good number of other items in between. I thought (mistakenly, I admit) that when the text shifted to cover Fonts, slides and other things that the explanation was not there.

I would add that the statement “If you find that left-hand fingering will only appear outside the staff and you cannot create right-hand fingering at all, go to the Fingering page of Engraving Options, and in the Advanced Options subsection of the Design section, activate Allow left-hand fingerings inside the staff for fretted instruments. Beware that this will change the position of any existing fingerings on guitar or other fretted instruments in your project,” doesn’t quite describe the basic idea that if this is not done, there will be no R and L from which to choose. I don’t see how one would be expected to know that this setting is needed to allow the R hand fingering to be available.

In the end, it works. And I am very glad for that. Bravo on a terrific update!

Sorry, “release notes” was a typo for “version history”. A rose by any other name, etc.

And the version history was, indeed, where it was to be found. Albeit, it took Daniel’s help to point it out. It will teach me to read everything!