Fingering Slides (Slide In) for Guitar not appearing?

Trying to get a standard slide up and into a note from one fret below. Folloswed instructions here

Please see attached. I tried to show a slide up into the first dyad but figured since there’s nothing before it, Dorico won’t understand (still need a solution for this). But I should be getting the small diagonal lines showing slide up into the second note, shouldn’t I?

As usual I’m doing something wrong. Any ideas what it is?

A fingering slide will only appear between two notes that have the same LH fingering. In your screenshot you haven’t set the “Finger or position” property.

1 Like

If you are trying to indicate a “slide from nothing” effect (of the sort common in electric guitar scores) you probably want the “Lift (straight)” jazz ornament rather than a fingering slide. There are also other situations where it will make more sense to use a glissando marking. Fingering slides are specifically designed for aligning to fingering numbers.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. So yes, this technique doesn’t work for ‘Slide from Nothing’. But even when I set finger position, I get a small horizontal line. You’re likely aware that he convention for guitar notation is a small diagonal line coming up into the bottom of the note.

I check out the ‘Lift’ Jazz articulation you mentioned - it’s closer but it’s a squiggly line which I’ve never seen used for a slide. I’m going to see if I can figure out how to edit the appearance of that line.

Thanks again!

The squiggly line is “Lift (wavy)” - I meant “Lift (straight)”. You can see the list at the top of the Ornaments panel:

If you want to change the appearance of the fingering slide then you can do this in Engraving Options:

Aha! Lovely thanks! That works, and I can grab it in Engrave Mode and make it a bit shorter so it looks like I’m used to.

Thanks so much!