Fingering vertical alignment

Hello there,

Admittedly, I’m not an engraver, yet the alignment of fingering in the example below doesn’t look consistent to me.
Fingering-Alignment.png
While the fingering in the second measure looks perfect, the alignment in the first measure does not (at least to me).
Is there a setting(s) in Engrave options that would make the alignment as it’s rendered in the second measure to be a default applied across the board?
In the material I’m working on, there is a lot of fingering. Therefore, manually adjusting the position of individual fingering would be way too tedious; simply put - impractical.

TIA,
Igor Borodin

Increase the value of ‘Minimum horizontal gap between fingering and other item’ on the Fingering page of Engraving Options.

eng-rules.png

Thank you Daniel.
It does help.

Nevertheless, can’t help noting that controlling object’s vertical position with that object’s horizontal property feels rather counterintuitive.

Igor Borodin

Dorico tries to centre the fingering above the note, and it can do that when nestling next to an upward-pointing stem provided that option is set sufficiently small, but if you demand a larger horizontal gap between the fingering and an item to either side of it, then Dorico is forced to push the fingering out vertically to maintain the desired horizontal position. I think this is logical once you understand that Dorico won’t move the fingering horizontally itself: it will always be centred on the notehead.

Thank you, Daniel for taking time to clarify the rendering logic behind fingering’s positioning.
Actually, I did figure that out - that’s why I used the expression “counter-intuitive” and not something offensive like “illogical”.

Meanwhile, could you answer another fingering related question.
Looking at older editions of technical studies from publishers like Carl Fischer or G. Schirmer, I see that quite often fingerings are placed within the music staves, so that the individual numbers are lined up parallel to either the beams or the noteheads.
Is such engraving practice considered outdated? In other words, fingering should always stay outside the stave?
Just for my education.

Thanks,
Igor Borodin

I think those practices have become more rare in keyboard music, but I don’t believe they’ve become completely obsolete, particularly in very copiously fingered, complex polyphonic music (there are some examples of attempting to reproduce these kinds of practices in this thread, but the source editions are not contemporary ones).

However, this kind of placement for fingerings is of course widely used in guitar music, and so in the fullness of time we do expect to provide options for tucking fingerings in to the staff.

Thanks Daniel !
I set the value to 1/4 and it helps me a lot too !

Hello Daniel, is it possible to place fingerings horizontally for brass fingering? For example 12 or 13 for trumpet players. It shows up vertically but will be easier for young players to see it horizontally.

There is Properties > Fingering > Position left of notehead. Is that what you mean?

Yes, you can input two numbers next to each other for valved brass instrument fingerings. If they belong to the same note, they’ll appear next to each other horizontally; for fingerings for multiple notes in chords, Dorico stacks those vertically.

I tried inputting the fingerings for the trumpet like the link you sent and it still shows up vertically. I was hoping I can type 12 or 123 and it appears horizontal for the brass, but it is still vertical.

Aha, oh yes, there’s an Engraving Option that’s relevant here (when isn’t there) – Library > Engraving Options > Fingering > Brass

1 Like

Yes thank you so much Lillie!

1 Like