Fingering

Those who work for publishers of guitar music cannot deliver unfingered scores: unlike music written for other instruments, guitar music is customarily published with fingering (an old and odd tradition that several publishers and editors have tried to address with no result: unfingered guitar scores do not sell).

The question is: in lack of a specifical fingering tool, does Dorico allow - at least - to write fngering numbers as movable text, to be manually adjusted?

If not, I am afraid that those guitar music editors and publishers who use Sibelius and/or Finale will have to follow with their programs, in wait of a Dorico release completed with a fingering tool.

ag

You can indeed write in fingering numbers using text. Dorico has pretty good text support, though one shortcoming in the initial release (that unlike other items it does not yet automatically avoid collisions) might actually prove to be an advantage in the short term of putting fingerings in using text. You’ll be able to define an appropriate style for them, then copy them with Alt+click, and nudge them in Engrave mode.

Then, no inconvenient: the same is needed for inputting fingering numbers in Sibelius or Finale (the number placement in guitar scores will never be made possibile automatically, being too capricious).

ag

I assume that adding fingerings is limited to things like guitar and keyboard, not woodwinds or brass? (Thinking along the lines of educational material, or specialty fingerings like multiphonics or other crazy things.)

There’s no particular reason why we would prevent the adding of fingerings to other instruments, but there will basically be two types of positioning options for fingerings, I expect, i.e. piano-like (generally above/below the staff) or guitar-like (positioned near the noteheads to which they apply).