First drum kit transcription: feedback for Dorico team

I don’t, sorry. I know moving tuplets in drum parts can be problematic.

Moving tuplets on percussion kits is a pain. I find it easiest to work in a layout that has the percussion kit represented as single line staves; that way you can use the move to stave above/below shortcuts.

As Leo says, unfortunately this kind of editing operation doesn’t work reliably with tuplets. The problem underneath it all is that each instrument in the kit is a separate instrument, and Dorico is doing a special kind of condensing to bring all the music together onto a single five-line staff. When you move a note from one staff position to another, you’re actually moving it to another instrument, and the tuplet doesn’t exist on that instrument. We need to make some further changes to note input for percussion so that we can make Dorico create the necessary tuplet on the new instrument in order to preserve the precise rhythmic position of that note.

Thank you, Dan, Leo and Daniel for the update on this and explains why I couldn’t get it working.

Daniel, I have other scenarios and also ideas that I think would really help with the drumset notation within Dorico. I know that the drumset is a complex instrument. i’ve been doing this for a while now and would love to see some things for drumset notation that would increase productivity and simplify things. I understand that the untuned percussion notation is based around individual instruments that are combined. While the drumset is made up of these individual instruments (I like to think of them as notes), it is played as a single instrument. Imagine having individual notes assigned for writing a piano part :slight_smile:. It appears that the complexity of the design is purposeful, although somewhat holding it back from features such as hiding rests and working with the tuplets which are quite functional for other instruments.

I would be happy to send you and email with some points of interest and the things I find are limiting me from using Dorico for my professional work. I’ve invested in Dorico since version 1 when the drumset wasn’t even offered as an instrument so I am definitely coming from a point of support as we needed a notational software program that was progressive, as Dorico promises to be. I would just love for the drumset to have the same progressive features and a whole bunch more! Drummer jokes are welcome at this time :slight_smile:

If an email is not ideal I can do up another drumset thread.

Thanks, Grant :drum:
www.grantcollins.com

We’re always happy to receive feedback either here on the forum or through email.