First work almost entirely done in Dorico

This is my first large-scale orchestral work that is almost entirely composed in Dorico, and completely engraved in Dorico.
It was also the last work I composed in my 50’s (ie: before hitting age 60).

12 Likes

Congratulations, now can we hear it?

1 Like

sure, if you want!

8 Likes

Love it Michael! What a piece, a monumental effort indeed. Very well done - I hope it gets the exposure it so richly deserves. 10/10 (And the engraving looks pretty impressive too)

1 Like

Beautiful, Michel! Congratulations on bringing this to life in Dorico! I am finding that contrary to Sibelius or Finale, when I use Dorico it makes composing at the computer a very enjoyable thing to do! Thank you for sharing this with us, and here’s a hope for many more wonderful compositions as you enter your 60s!

1 Like

Congratulations, Michel! I hope you’re finding it enjoyable, above all.

1 Like

Very nice piece! I think learning a new, complex program like Dorico is a great way to keep exercising our brain as we grow older. It’s certainly helping me in my 50s!

3 Likes

Michel, I got a lot of pleasure listening to your Concerto-Rhapsodie. As Sir Thomas Beecham said:

“Good music enters the ear with facility and leaves the mind only with difficulty”. You score on both points!

2 Likes

thank-you so much!

Un chef-d’œuvre!

1 Like

oh my! I’m not sure how to answer that one, but thank-you!
I know the violist for whom it was written loves it. She’s been practicing it for weeks now (from a not-quite complete score I sent her).

1 Like

Really beautiful piece Michel. I still fondly remember your piano variations on Country Gardens (if I’m remembering correctly) that you shared on some other forum many years ago.
Congratulations on the Concerto-Rhapsodie.
Glad you’ve taken the plunge into Dorico land.

1 Like

Thank-you, Lafin.
The variations (under the title “…with apologies to Percy”) are actually now part of the curriculum in a piano competition for the under 17 age group. Although I honestly don’t know how many times young pianists have chosen them as their competition piece.

3 Likes