First of all, it feels wonderful to address Daniel in a forum again. It’s just like old times!
The philosophy and approach of this software seem excellent. The bones should be good. I am already aware of some missing features in version 1.0 and these concern me little as I know I will use my previous software alongside Dorico for the first few months at least. Nevertheless, it will be important for me to be able to use Dorico as much as I possibly can right from its release date. I see from the few examples posted on Steinberg that older music is used (Beethoven 5th Sonata, Dvorak’s Serenade for Winds, Mendelssohn’s op. 53 no 6, Grieg’s Hall of the Mountain King etc …). For me personally, this is fine as it corresponds to the type of work I do. Nevertheless, even in this more conservative type of music, there are some advanced features that can be useful, and I would like to know, even at these early stages, if they will be present in version 1.0.
- I see that SMuFL is fully implemented in Bravura. That includes many clefs. Will we be able to use older funky clefs such as mezzo-soprano C clef, soprano C clef, and especially (for me) French baroque violin clef? I often make my own performing editions for performances and find it less confusing to transcribe what I see on the page and change to modern clefs after I’m done, instead of transposing as I go.
- Similarly, is it possible to enter transposed music, or do we enter everything in C. This again, for example, is for copying a clarinet in A part that is already transposed instead of transposing as we go.
- Will we be able to assign different key signatures on different staves/instruments/players. This is not only a new music thing: if I write a chart in B major, the harp pretty much has to be in Cb. I enter in B first, and then change the key, check for proper enharmonics and finally enter pedalling.
- Speaking of which, can we add harp pedalling? I don’t expect something as fancy as the extremely useful pedalling plugins in Sibelius yet, but I hope I can do it at least manually.
- Will there be an option for horns and trumpets to be used without a key signature.
Thanks in advance