Five questions

First of all, it feels wonderful to address Daniel in a forum again. It’s just like old times!
The philosophy and approach of this software seem excellent. The bones should be good. I am already aware of some missing features in version 1.0 and these concern me little as I know I will use my previous software alongside Dorico for the first few months at least. Nevertheless, it will be important for me to be able to use Dorico as much as I possibly can right from its release date. I see from the few examples posted on Steinberg that older music is used (Beethoven 5th Sonata, Dvorak’s Serenade for Winds, Mendelssohn’s op. 53 no 6, Grieg’s Hall of the Mountain King etc …). For me personally, this is fine as it corresponds to the type of work I do. Nevertheless, even in this more conservative type of music, there are some advanced features that can be useful, and I would like to know, even at these early stages, if they will be present in version 1.0.

1. I see that SMuFL is fully implemented in Bravura. That includes many clefs. Will we be able to use older funky clefs such as mezzo-soprano C clef, soprano C clef, and especially (for me) French baroque violin clef? I often make my own performing editions for performances and find it less confusing to transcribe what I see on the page and change to modern clefs after I’m done, instead of transposing as I go.
  2. Similarly, is it possible to enter transposed music, or do we enter everything in C. This again, for example, is for copying a clarinet in A part that is already transposed instead of transposing as we go.
  3. Will we be able to assign different key signatures on different staves/instruments/players. This is not only a new music thing: if I write a chart in B major, the harp pretty much has to be in Cb. I enter in B first, and then change the key, check for proper enharmonics and finally enter pedalling.
  4. Speaking of which, can we add harp pedalling? I don’t expect something as fancy as the extremely useful pedalling plugins in Sibelius yet, but I hope I can do it at least manually.
  5. Will there be an option for horns and trumpets to be used without a key signature.

Thanks in advance

1. I’m not sure how many of the more esoteric clefs we have in Bravura will be included in the first version of Dorico. In theory it’s not too hard to define new clefs if we already have the glyphs, so perhaps if I get a spare few hours I could ask you to let me know your specific requirements in this area.

2. At the moment, everything is entered assuming concert pitch. I hope we will introduce a toggle to allow you to input music in written pitch, for copying out existing parts, etc.

3. Yes, although I don’t believe we have the capability in the UI to create different key signatures on different staves just yet, the underlying model absolutely allows this.

4. No harp pedalling support just yet. It would be great to add proper support for this, but it’s highly unlikely before the first release.

5. Yes, I believe this is already basically taken care of, but I will check with Michael, the developer who has been working on key signatures and accidentals, to make sure. If it’s not yet taken care of, it will be!

Thanks Daniel!

1. I will later this week.

2. I’ll wait patiently!

3. That one is indeed important, so I’m glad it can be implemented. Hopefully sooner than later

4. I figured as much … but can I still add text manually for it? (D# C Bb etc …)

5. Thanks!

Just like you guys, I’m in for the long run!

I would like to second a call for this. Not just for copying, but when I write for e.g. Bb clarinet, I write the clarinet in its written pitch as this is ingrained. I would not want to have to “untranspose” the music if necessary.

I too absolutely need this! I have several clients that write transposed scores in pencil. I really don’t want to have to be transposing it back to input. Additionally, I often write transposed myself. I like to look at the line as the performer will see it to make sure all enharmonics and cautionary accidentals are as clear as possible. Sometimes I’ll switch back and forth between concert and transposed, but often I’ll just enter it transposed. The ability to do it either way is pretty essential to me.

+1

This is absolutely essential for anyone doing copying work and for a lot of composers used to writing transposed scores.

A simple work-round would be to transpose the whole score to the key where the instrument being entered appears in the written key and then transpose back after entering that part. A pain, but not impossible, while awaiting the fully-functioned version.

Hi again Daniel,

In response to your request, these are the three clefs that I would personally like to have. Soprano, Mezzo-soprano and French violin (G clef on the bottom line). I actually use them!

Thanks in advance

Two of these are already implemented: type Shift-C to get the clef pop-over and type “mezzo” or “soprano” and hit Return and you’ll get the answer you want. The French violin clef is not yet supported, but it won’t be hard to add.

Fantastic! Thank you!

Absolutely must be able to toggle between concert and written pitch. See the ribbon in Sibelius 8.3.

KG

This is good - Daniel more or less wrote the ribbon in Sibelius!

I have faith these missing features will make their way into Dorico sooner rather than later.

Well, everybody makes mistakes - even Daniel :wink:

Seriously, if the Dorico UI were forced to follow the guidelines of Microsoft’s “design” (for want of a better expletive) of the Ribbon, that would certainly be a deal-breaker for me.

Well, Im one–of Im guessing many who really do like the ribbon…I liked it right from the start, although there was some concern on my part about first using it, based on what was being said by the few who completely and still to this day slam it.

I felt it a real technological break thru, and stiil do. Nice job, Daniel and team:)
Many who started out not liking it, out of necessity or seeing its benefits, or maybe some of both, now have changed their minds.

Cant wait to see and use Dorico :slight_smile:

Thanks Bob