Fix a lyric spacing error

Thanks for confirming this behavior. Seems to me if note spacing in Dorico can be consistently displayed with tempo changes drawn in the background, then perhaps Dorico could be programmed to handle lyric spacing equally as well. It’s not a huge issue for me, but an issue nonetheless. I’m just sorry I had to be the one to discover and post this in my trial run. I’m still switching to Dorico – but it’s never fun to report unexpected behavior. Like I said, it’s not a deal breaker for me by any means – it just threw me out of my workflow for few minutes to post this stuff.

I don’t work for Steinberg, but in my book this is just a bug. But we don’t know when the next released version is likely to be, so knowing how to work round it (make the tempo changes line up with the notes) is about as good as it gets right now.

Another workround would be to adjust the horizontal spacing in Engrave mode, if you can’t change the MIDI file.

If you can create a MusicXML file instead of MIDI, that might import better.

Apologies for the problems with being unable to make any attachments: that should be possible again now. I’ll take a look at the project you posted on your web site, billscores.

Ah, that’s very interesting. Looking at the project I can immediately see the problem, though it’s a bit technical and I’m not sure I can explain it succinctly in a clear fashion. Dorico’s spacing algorithms will only avoid collisions between adjacent spacing columns. Each rhythmic position at which an item can be found is its own spacing column, and in the case of a bar that contains many tempo items, each of those tempo items has its own spacing column. That means that whereas normally the lyrics would be adjacent to the next spacing column in the same staff, when there are lots of extra tempos knocking around, the lyrics are spaced against the empty columns for the tempos rather than the columns belonging to the next or previous note with lyrics.

Whether or not we could easily change this I don’t know, but it’s something I’ll discuss with the team in the New Year.

Thanks for looking into the this Daniel. Clearly you and the entire team at Steinberg care deeply about the quality and performance of your product. I’m confident the smart folks at Dorico can figure this out for a future release. I think it’s important. Thanks again and Merry Christmas!