Fix a variable number of bars per staff

Hi,

Is there an option to set a variable number of bars per staff?

Usually, I set, for example, 4 bars per staff, but I’m looking to set, for example, 5 bars in the first staff, 3 in the second, etc.

Thank You!
Francesco

Welcome, @francesco_menici , to the forum.

When wants a different but specific number of measures in each system, the best solution might be to add System Breaks manually from the Engrave mode. Granted, in a long piece this may take time, but do not overlook the possibility to adjust the note spacing so Dorico can, in most cases, get close to your goals automatically.

One can change note spacing partway through a composition at any system that starts with a System Break or Frame Break.

You can add a Note Spacing change anywhere, regardless of whether there’s a Break nearby or not.

Thanks, Ben. I must have confused it with a change in space size.

Hi @francesco_menici to create system breaks there are several ways. Besides the suggestions above (creating them manually at the desired places), you can also

A. use the Move to Previous/Next System buttons or their shortcuts “,” and “.”
This is handy if you start for example with a casting off of 4 bars (set in Layout options/Staves and Systems/Casting off) and want to move rapidly some bars to other system (these moves the bar/s and creates the needed system breaks and activates, on the first one, the property Wait for next system break (*)

B. you can select a start object and then, with command/control, an end object and use the button Make Into System. (these moves the bar/s and creates the needed system breaks and activates, on the first one, the property Wait for next system break (*)

A. (move first bar of second system to first system and move last bar of second system to third system)
CleanShot 2024-04-16 at 20.40.42

B.
CleanShot 2024-04-16 at 20.52.01

(*) Automatically created option, to ensure that the system stays as desired

here the manual page: