FIXED! - [BUGs] VCA

Yes we do - we paid for it.

Dorico has recently been released with an avalanche of bugs and omissions, and guess what, the Dorico development team are all over it, constantly responding to the forum and explaining what is going on.

So why then do the Nuendo team respond so rarely to issues on the Nuendo site?

It makes me very worried about Nuendo’s future.

I feel your pain.

I must say that I am kind of puzzled as well.

AVID slips big time with PT 12, basically annoying a huge part of their customer base. At the same time Steinberg could have fought really hard for the post market, fixing/getting VCAs right, adding a field recorder workflow (conform), maybe clip effects/panning, pushing the video engine.

Instead of quickly taking the next obvious steps for the market they had targeted the kind of escape to a new market (game audio). To me this feels a bit like not shooting in front of an empty goal. I wonder if the reason for that is German Angst or a deeper analysis of the market and what other companies do. I am, however really puzzled. 16 months is a long time not to get this right and I understand your frustration, even if I personally don’t use the feature.

Yes & yes… to Lydiot and Oliver.

Most of us here ( ?? ) are don’t really care about “game audio " or " VR”. Really. And to get proper VCA functioning and to be able to do anything in surround the only other viable option is PT HD.
For me…no thanx ! For many known reasons , mostly $$.

Even though I am trying to stay away from some of the VCA issues demonstrated, it’s still mind bungling to be non resolved still…

I too find the Dorico forums very interesting. I’m not at all in the market for a notation solution, but the way the team handles the forums is exemplary. Quick responses, trying to help, looking for crash dumps. Sure, it’s only the beginning and it probably is so riddled with bugs they better do this to quickly iron out the biggest bugs. But I’m sure they will find people are generally helpful and help them find issues they could not test themselves and also have constructive ideas. I think and hope they’ll stay in these forums for a long time. Meanwhile here… (crickets)

I don’t get this either. There’s more and more media created is it not? There’s a need for pro sound software. With such a screwup like Avid, the goal was wide open to aggressively get users over to Nuendo finally and start breaking apart the “Avid standard”, make people rethink their decisions. It the post audio market so uninteresting?

Has anyone tested the latest version and seen if any of the bugs have been addressed?

I don’t know. I’ve been avoiding using the VCA facility in case something nasty goes wrong.

I just did a very simple test using Auto-Latch and it seemed to work, but I’m not confident about what I’m doing and don’t want to run the risk of screwing things up.

Perhaps a statement from Steinberg about the current state of play with VCAs might help to build confidence in the system as the v7.1.20 update notes did not make it clear as to whether or not the issues that have been pointed out to them have actually been resolved.

18 MONTHS NOW!

So Timo, has it been looked into?

Did v7.1.20 fix anything in this area?

I understand that the Nuendo VCA system does not currently function the way industry professionals expect it work, so could you explain to us how to use it effectively and safely?

It seems to be that the whole VCA feature has ended up as a failure that is best avoided.

Your input would be much appreciated.

v7.1.2 didn’t fix the errors I found.

Last I heard from development people was months ago according to my email account.

Last time I heard from some people (Timo) it was a priority, then that Guillermo (or whomever) at Gearslutz said it was put on low-priority. And after all, I paid my damn money so why would they care any longer. Timo said the same to Jeff Davis at yamaha support which is a person I recommend anyone who cares about this should email.

18 months. I’m a bit offended that not even a comment is apparently owed to us paying customers after all this time.

There are always lawsuits to pursue of course.

Jeff Davis through Yamaha support. Email him.

Steinberg clearly doesn’t care at this point.

The two issues that are the basis for the bugs described in this thread **have been fixed in;

Nuendo 7.1.30, build 242**

according to how the version history document describes it. At least I can confirm it now works as expected on my system, which is:

Win 7 x64
8GB RAM
AMD Phenom II
Nuendo 7.1.30, build 242

That is very good news. At Last!

Your persistence has finally paid off.

I believe there is still the issue with incompatibility between the Nuendo and Cubase VCA systems when transferring projects between the two, and also a confirmed bug when trying to use IC-Pro in Cue Mix mode if a VCA fader is present in a project. The fader makes it completely impossible use the cue mix features.

Yes, the Cubase/Nuendo discrepancy will remain until they completely port one to the other, which would be a major task. I don’t think they will for the foreseeable future, even though they probably should. Porting Nuendo’s VCAs to Cubase would make the most sense.

So anyway, yes the only things I tested were the bugs in this thread, which I think had the potentially worst-case outcomes.

The IC-Pro issue I know nothing about of course, since I actually don’t use it.

Thank you for the confirmation and for your engagement regarding this topic. I believe we have underestimated the complexity of the VCA topic at first.

Regarding the VCA-styles in Cubase and Nuendo: we found that the Nuendo-VCA behaviour has advantages for certain production tasks in audio-post compared to the implementation in Cubase. For the foreseeable future, I believe the Nuendo VCA implementation remains to Nuendo only.

Kind Regards,
Timo

Hi Timo,

What about the VCA/iC-PRO bug (confirmed by LSLOWAK)?

Now that the VCA bugs have been fixed is it possible to get things moving in the IC-PRO department so that it will at least be possible to use iC-PRO with Nuendo projects that contain VCA faders?

Now that it appears the major issues with VCAs have been resolved. As someone who has not used VCAs (and would like to use them), can I assume that they now behave the way they are intended and behave the way they do in ProTools. Secondly, can an imported or exported file intended for eventual use in ProTools have VCAs in them and they will work as intended in both DAWs, that is, if the VCAs were created in Nuendo?

I put the usage of them in Nuendo on hold, so I’d have to refresh my memory. But as far as I can see they now behave as one would expect as far as level control goes.

I think there is one clear difference between PT and Nuendo where in PT, as far as I recall, you create groups (linked faders in Nuendo) and then assign the groups to a VCA. In Nuendo we never create a “group” which we then assign, instead we just select the channels and assign them to a VCA directly. And one drawback I guess is that we currently can’t have one or more channels controlled by more than one VCA, which I believe is possible in PT.

In any case the way people use VCAs seems to vary a bit so it’ll pay off to think about how to use them and maybe see how others use them.

AAF’s as far as I know do not include VCA channels. There might be some 3rd party translation software that does, but I’ve never used them.

Either way I would honestly not worry about it and probably wouldn’t even bother thinking about it. Once any changes are made using VCAs it’s easy enough to consolidate/combine volume automation and have all changes reflected on the controlled tracks.

Thanks for the clear reply MattiasNYC. Something to chew on and good to hear there is noticeable improvement that’s bringing about some positive discussion on the matter.