FIXED!! DESPERATE!! Increasing Audio Dropouts

FIXED!!

DESPERATE!!

All right I’m posting this on all mediums I can think of. I’m as desperate as one can be.

I’ve been having increasing performance issues with Cubase. It started with some minor audio dropouts, but now I just have full days of not being able to work because the average load just maxes out at a buffer size of 2048 and it just skips over all the audio. Then there are some days where out of nowhere the same session works perfectly at a buffer size of 128. And I just can’t figure out what the problem is.

I tried absolutely anything I could find. Turning of power saving options, updating all my drivers, using the Sweetwater performance guide, upgrading my pc, switching out my graphics card for another, turning off my antivirus, turning off my internet, turning off core 0 in task manager, turning off plugins to see if there is a bad plugin. The list goes on and nothing works.

I have posted this before on multiple forums but people just don’t answer.
Please I need some help. I’m willing to try anything at this point.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i7-7820X 3.60 GHz
COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
MOBO: MSI X299 Raider
RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2666 C16
NEW GPU: MSI Geforce 1060
OLD GPU: XFX R9 280X Black Edition
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620W
Audio Interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

SSD 1: Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB
SSD 2: WD Blue WDS100T2B0A 1TB
HDD 1: WD Black WD3003 FZEX 3TB
HDD 2: WD Black WD4005FZBX 4TB

EDIT:

Tried switching audio interface.
CPU temperature stays within 30 C on all cores (measured with Core Temp).
Tried the onboard sound driver and ASIO4ALL driver.
Graphics card was just put in today so the problem isn’t related to the graphics card.

So for the people who stumble on my post with the same problems as I. Here’s a progress update:

A couple of guys on KVRAudio Forum and SoundOnSound Forum asked me to run Latencymon and from the results they all said the same. I have a pretty high amount of processes running in the background with a higher priority than Cubase.

A couple of causes could be not doing a clean install of Windows when I updated from Windows 8 to Windows 10. Downloading too much junk and not properly getting rid of them. And just the fact I have been running this instance of Windows for over 5 years without a clean install.

I could try to give Cubase a higher priotity in Task Manager, but I would need to download a program to save that priority. A more stable long term solution would be to just do a clean Windows installation.

So I’m going for the clean install… It’s gonna take a little while, but I’ll keep you guys updated on the progress.

hmmm… I do hope you get through. – I notice you mentioned two graphics cards… Do you do Video editing on the same PC ?.. just curious.

Just finished reïnstalling everything. It took me a couple of hours but I’m finally done.

And it worked!!!

Before I wasn’t able to run my session below a buffer size of 2048. Now I can go as low as 64 (with a plugin count of around180 plugins), maybe 32 if it’s a simple project.

It wasn’t just my windows instance but also a plugin as well. Helix Native to be exact. Hogs up all my cpu. But it’s no problem if I freeze it after I made my bass tones with it.

Well I’m glad I’m finally done with this.