Fixing Clicks in Sample Editor

In most cases that I’ve seen, interfaces and drivers have been a culprit in this case. Do you have an alternate interface you could swap out to make that determination or do you know of a friend that would let you use one for the test?

Hey guys,

I’m back with a few test runs I performed to test my computer’s ability to manage my recording needs. So I ran a test made up as follows:

-1 Mono Condenser (Silent Background)
-1 Mono Dynamic (Silent Background)
-1 Stereo Both (Silent Background)

-1 Mono Condenser (Loud, Noisy Keyboard)
-1 Mono Dynamic (Loud, Noisy Keyboard)
-1 Stereo Both (Loud, Noisy Keyboard)

• All are 2 minutes long

Results:

Condenser (SB) = One medium click

Dynamic (SB) = No Clicks
Stereo (SB) = Two or three small clicks

Condenser (NK) = One small click
Dynamic (NK) = HUGE click

Stereo (NK) = Several small clicks throughout

These labeled small clicks are not visible in the waveforms. The ASIO meter did not spike to my knowledge and stayed from 0 to ten. Does this show anything or reveal where I might look next?

@Suprawill1: I’m afraid I won’t be able to get my hands on another interface without purchasing it, unless my retailer would let me trial one (which I feel dishonest doing without buying). :neutral_face:

That spike on the dynamic track (the huge one) is very odd!!!

I know, that’s what I was thinking! From this test, I’m seeing that the clicks are sporadically spread across the tracks. We can combine that with the other tests I’ve done that show that the ASIO meter does not spike, and clicks are not present when the mics are not connected. By tonight I hope to have finally run that Syncon test to add to the information. Does this point us in any particular direction so far?

What the hell, that big click is really weird!
Never seen one like that, I’d sample it and ask money for it :stuck_out_tongue:

My initial suspicion that it’s a popping condenser is loosing ground.

It does look like a discharging condenser, good thinking.
But in his initial recordings he also got the clicks on the dynamic recording, which suggest ASIO spikes instead. So there may be 2 different issues then.

Didn’t he say it was the dynamic channel?

But yeah I agree it does look like the condenser, a dirty diaphragm can cause such problems as the charge can bleed off on such a very high impedance circuit causing all sorts of noise.

:laughing: :confused: It is on the dynamic; I double-checked in Cubase. I was watching closely as I recorded, no ASIO spikes!?! My condenser mic is brand new and shouldn’t be experiencing problems so early.

I know very little about mic builds, but I kinda assumed that a condensor mic has one or more condensors (see what I did there?) in it’s circuitry while a dynamic mic has none. But that’s just my simple deduction :wink:

Obviously you know very little about mic builds :sunglasses:

Difference between dynamic and condenser microphone is in the principal functionality: in dynamic microphone the diaphragm (the thin membrance, which receives the sound) moves a coil in a magnetic field resulting voltage induced into the coil. In Condenser microphone diaphragm is settled very close to immovable surface and these two together creates a condenser (a.k.a capacitor). Because capasitor is not active component, which creates any voltage by itself, a condensor microphone needs some active circuity to measure the capasitance of the microphone element and convert it into voltage.

There’s nothing that prevents dynamic microphone from having some active circuits, which have capacitors (condensers) in them. But usually they don’t, because they are not needed.

Thanks Jarno :slight_smile:

Here’s a picture of a condenser mics capsule, you can see the gold diaphragm and the clear bit (insulation) round the edge providing a view of the back plate. It’s the charge between the diaphragm and back plate that’s important. When the diaphragm gets dirty it can hold moisture that allows the charge to bleed off or collapse completely if very dirty. This can cause all sorts of problems with the sound. (not saying this is Banes problem by the way) just for interests sake :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought that was a joke. :slight_smile:

Ha ha!! I just ran the DPC Latency Checker! :smiling_imp: The culprit? My WLAN card (network adapter). I’m going to confirm that I don’t get clicks now with WI-FI off.

Good news :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley: :smiley: Just tested, only one random click out of 15-20 minutes of recording! Haven’t seen another yet! Thanks guys! :smiley:

If you are ever wondering why I’m alot less active on the forum, its cause my Network adapter is disabled. :wink: I came back after 24 hrs off and found a page’s worth of unread posts! :open_mouth: