Flams not playing back or copying as expected

Hi … I tried using the marching template here: Marching percussion template for Tapspace Virtual Drumline – Dorico

I’m finding that for some reason, flams aren’t playing as expected… attached a basic part… first measure has flams… 2nd does not. Notice in the first measure that notes don’t play as constant 16ths.

The only change I made to the template is that I removed all the snares (except one) on the snare line.

I also noticed that if you copy/paste the first measure w/ the grace note ‘flams’, that the pasted grace notes don’t retain their original playing technique (measure 3 is a copy of measure 1).

Flams.dorico (1.2 MB)

Unfortunately your project hasn’t attached as expected – could you try again?

that’s what I get for Dorico’ing after dark. Attached now…

It occurred to me this AM (Dorico before dawn) - wondering if the flam playback issue was perhaps related to the instrument vs. Dorico itself… not sure the best way to check that, but will tinker a bit.

Alas, it’s still not attached: perhaps you could email it to me instead at d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de? Please include a link to this thread so I know what I’m meant to be looking at.

It’s attached to the first post :wink:

Right you are, thanks, Marc.

1 Like

I don’t have VDL installed at the moment, but I’ll try and conjure @John_at_Steinberg to come and take a look.

1 Like

Does it help if in Play > Playback Options > Timing you change the ‘default grace note length’ to be a smaller fraction of a quarter note?
And is the Play > Playback Options > Dynamics beat stress options making the rhythm sound unnaturally lumpy with VDL? If so, try changing both the beat stress options to 0.

Hi @John_at_Steinberg - yes, changing the default grace note length seems to help. I’ve not (yet) noticed unnatural lumpyness w VDL

Any comment on “I also noticed that if you copy/paste the first measure w/ the grace note ‘flams’, that the pasted grace notes don’t retain their original playing technique (measure 3 is a copy of measure 1)”?

The grace notes do get copied when I tried, but the notehead seems to get reset to the ‘first’ one, which in that template isn’t the default sound. I had to select the notes and use alt-shift-down arrow to change the technique back to Left or Right.
It looks like a bug that the playing technique isn’t retained.

@John_at_Steinberg - yes, that’s exactly it. Thanks for confirming.