Flattening realtime processing for pitch corrected tracks?

Hi!

I recently have done alot of pitch correction with vari audio, which drives my pc to its limits. After a short look in the operation manual, i learned, that there is a feature to flatten the real time pitch correction data in an audiofile. It also says, that this may inprove the quality of the pitched material. However, in my case, i think it sounds worse. Is it just me, or do someone feel the same?

The manual also says, that you are eventually able to choose a different algorithm for the pitch correction. When i use the flatten feature for the pitch, i’m only able to choose the realtime algorithm. Is there a way to choose better algorithm, and if yes, how?

Greets, Tomess

Have you tried using Render In Place?

The manual also says, that you are eventually able to choose a different algorithm for the pitch correction

Pretty sure that for variaudio the algo is fixed to standard solo…certainly used to be the case.

Never fully understood if flattening does anything special…have always used bounce selection to do this (which I suspect is all that flattening is doing anyhow). No quality loss doing it like this that I’ve noticed.

Recently I’ve taken to deleting blobs that aren’t being retuned. That’s because I found that they affected the sound even though they should be doing nothing. I then bounce the part. I’ve not noticed any change between the real-time and the bounced version though. However, if you really need to be sure you are recording what you hear you could always bus the audio into another channel and record it in real-time.

Mike.

Hi, The only way I can get vary audio pitch changes to remain is to ‘export > audio mix down’ . Bounce and flatten both appear to undo the pith changes that have been made. Surely this shouldn’t be the case.
Cheers
simo

1 Like

No, you’re right - that shouldn’t be the case at all. Here’s the method I use, that works for me:-

I highlight (Range select/tool) the passage I want to use VariAudio on, I bounce this (clicking ‘yes’ to the prompt to Replace) to make an original new file. Now I do my edits, then when satisfied again Range select the passage and choose to bounce and replace. And voila, new file is in place with all my edits/changes printed (made permanent).

I’ve never used the ‘Flatten’ process, so not sure what that’s supposed to do/how it works. (sorry to OP for going a little off topic).

Maybe I’ve helped shed some light somewhere…

Bob

Thanks Bob,
That makes sense, but it still seems an overly complex method to get your pitch changes ‘in place’ especially when you want to go through an audio track and experiment without having to ‘render in place’ every little idea/experiment. it still seems there’s some flaws in this process.
Simo

1 Like