flipping slurs and articulation and other thoughts

Coming from Sibelius I desperately miss the X shortcut in order to easily flip slurs and articulation sign. I found no shortcut for that. I hope this will come sooner than later.

I can’t see why I have to unlock so many feature in order to use them e.g. moving frames in Engrave mode. If I click a line I want to see the handles in order to move it immediately. Why are so many properties locked?
As the UNDO command is always there even if I do something unintended I can undo it easily.
When I hit the slur down picture it should work at once. The same with all the other possibilities in the properties menus. If I click on it I want to change it.

By the way I defined a shortcut for the Export File (in file menu) but that didn’t do anything.

It’s helpful to see the shortcuts when moving the cursor over e.g. the slur sign in write mode. But this doesn’t work for e.g. staccato dot. Will this come with the next update?

I see many good things in this notation app but at the moment so many unnecessary steps to reach what I want are so time consuming to me. I input text in Write mode but have to switch to engrave mode in order to move it a bit up or down. I understand the engrave mode for special engraving options like changing frames and so on but it is not comfortable to switch again and again between modes in order to do such simply things like moving text or to quickly change the shape of a slur or tie.

Don’t get me wrong I appreciate all the work done so far and I know it’s version 1 but I really hope these things will get much faster in future.

I’m interested to know why you find yourself needing to flip slurs and articulations very often: Dorico follows all of the established conventions for the placement of these items, and also provides global overrides (on the Articulations and Slurs pages of Engraving Options) if you find yourself needing something different. If we’re missing an option, then please let me know what convention you’re trying to follow that Dorico makes difficult.

The design of the Properties panel has been discussed at length elsewhere on the forum (e.g. here) and I hope you will forgive me if I do not rehearse the same arguments yet again. The short answer is that the switch that enables the property provides additional power, allowing three states (unset, so following the defaults in the program; and explicitly set to a particular value), and showing you which values are produced by explicit overrides and which are not. We do not have any plans to change this design.

In general the design of Dorico is intended to make it difficult to make accidental edits and to provide dedicated tools that tailor the application to the task at hand. It’s certainly true that coming from Sibelius, where everything is “live” all the time, Dorico feels more locked down, but if you try to do things the way Dorico encourages you to do them, i.e. to focus on one thing at a time and to let Dorico do its work automatically for you in the background, I believe you will find many benefits from the way Dorico works.

I have to strongly agree with Daniel on this point. I’ve transcribed many works into Dorico that I originally did in Finale and found that the speed and accuracy was far superior in Dorico because I had to spend less time adjusting and formatting. Yes, there are times you have to break the rules but these are the exceptions. It’s much faster to engrave using the rules and then changing the exceptions then the other way around.